Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doran daylight dev tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point well taken. One thing that can help is always to start with fresh developer working solution. This is an advantage to something like "HC110," which is concentrated enough to be diluted 1:31, used once and discarded. And if, like me, you're using one of the big "daylight" developing tanks, the one-time-use approach prevents your having to store half-gallon containers of working solution.

In rummaging around on the Web, I've found a surprising amount of discussion about these sheetfilm tanks. The majority opinion seems to favor "Les," and runs toward fanciful uses for "Yankee," "FR" and Doran tanks (e.g., fill it with cement and use it as a small boat anchor). The minority, honest and puzzled souls like me, reports that it has been using these tanks for donkey's years, has found that they work fine, and does not understand what all the vituperation is about.

Might there be a difference in technique, in approach, involved here? Two decades or so back, when color processing drums on motor bases swept aside all the earlier approaches (like the stainless-steel "canoe"), I spent a lot of time with the Beseler system, It worked very well with "Cibachrome," but I never could make an "Ektacolor" enlargement that didn't have odd streaking around the borders. I attributed it to turbulence in the vicinity of the keyed plastic rods used to hold the paper curved around the interior circumference of the drum, and made my prints large enough to allow me to trim it away. No one else seems to have complained, and later alternatives like the laminar-flow "Agnecolor" did not displace the drums. So it must have been something I was doing, but I'm jiggered if I can figure out what it was -- or why it didn't happen with "Cibachrome."
Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the passage:

For straight developers (D76, Microdol-X,XTOL) 250ml per 80 sq in

For dilute developers (D-76 1:1, Rodinal 1:25-1:50,HC-110 1:31) 500ml per 80 Sq In

and for VERY dilute(Rodinal 1:100, HC-110 1:90, D-76 1:3) a full liter per 80 Sq inches

So even with the straight developers you'll be better off either cutting the # sheets to 4 or maxing out the tank.

That is the nice part about the 3.5 gal tanks. You can do 12 sheets of 8x10 in Rodinal 1:100 or 1:120 and still have developer left over. And timing isn't critical. Put the film in, go make dinner, eat dinner, check on the film, have desert, move film to fix, wash dishes, wash film.

Just don't try it with on the first time you have your new girl over, you'll be smelling like Au d'Agfa and she won't like it a bit!
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't use the Jobo processor and instead use a motorbase or hand invert the 2500 series tanks will take more developer then you'd ever want to use. It's been mentioned but the smallest tank would need 1.5litres [I guess about 1.6US quarts] to just cover 6 4x5 sheets. The bigger tanks can be even heavier users of chemicals. I normally use 100ml of developer per 4x5 sheet or a little over the tank min amount. Which ever is greater. I know Kodak seems to have higher chemical requirements then Ilford but D-76 and Ilford developer [Id-11?] are supposedly the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: