Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex back with a roll film back question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willt99

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'm looking at a couple of Speed Graphics (2.25 x 3.25) on ebay and I'm confused how the glaflex back would work.

I currently have a 4x5 Crown with a Graflok back and understand that concept.

Can any of the non-Graflok backs take a film roll back (if it's made for the graflex back)?

How do you put it roll back on (not sliding it in where the sheet film holder goes)?

Thanks,
William
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflok: 2 slide locks that mate into notches in side of accessory, accessory has a protruding ridge that mates into valley on camera back that helps create a light trap and prevent said accessory from moving.
Graflex:Fixed thin bar on one width of back film opening, slideing bar on the other. Bars fit into groves in the sides of the accessory, accessory has valley and camera has ridge on one end that forms part of the light trap and prevents the accessory from moving.

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-11-20 22:45 ]
willt99

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, after mulling over your answer, I sort of get a visual. I have a copy of the GGP coming which should help. Thanks for the attempt. You did confirm my question that the graflex back is removable (without removing the screws) so certain types of roll backs can be attached.

Thanks,
William

[ This Message was edited by: willt99 on 2003-11-23 02:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: willt99 on 2003-11-23 02:45 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-20 18:47, willt99 wrote:
Hi. I'm looking at a couple of Speed Graphics (2.25 x 3.25) on ebay and I'm confused how the glaflex back would work.

I currently have a 4x5 Crown with a Graflok back and understand that concept.

Can any of the non-Graflok backs take a film roll back (if it's made for the graflex back)?

How do you put it roll back on (not sliding it in where the sheet film holder goes)?

Thanks,
William
William, 2x3 Speeds almost always had Graphic (also called spring) or Graflok backs. Ones with the Graflex back as described by Charles are very uncommon.

There is a kit for attaching a 2x3 rollholder that would normally go on a Graflok to a camera with a Graphic back. It replaces the springs, holds the holder firmly in place. With the set up, though, swapping rollholder with focusing panel isn't practical the user has to focus with the RF. I don't think this is a good idea, it limits the user to just the lens the RF is set up for.

If you want to use a 2x3 Speed with roll film, the best thing to do is get a 2x3 Pacemaker with a Graflok. Second best is a 2x3 Pacemaker with a Graphic back and an Adapt-A-Roll 620.

If your objective is to shoot 2x3, why not get a rollholder for your Crown?

Cheers,

Dan
Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many ways the Graflex Back is like the Graflok back except the ground glass is held in by the sliders, so it MUST be removed before a film holder or roll holder is fitted.

In the 4x5 size, the Graflex back is slightly wider/taller, so roll film holders are not interchangable with Graphic or Graflok backs. also Graflex backs reverse the light trap....the groove is on the film holder, where on a Graphic it's a ridge.

For 2x3 i'm not certain. I have a mini with a Graflex back and it's the same size as the Spring and Graflok, and yet others have tried and couldn't get them to interchange.

For shooting puproses, I'd stick to a Graflok back. roll film holders are plentiful and better made than anything for a Graflex back.

Oh and if you aren't confused already, Pacemaker cameras could come with a Graflex back that used two sliders. The tell tale signs are the lack of the Graflok "hooks" in the center of the back, and the ground glass doesn't have the ears to pull it back.

Les

willt99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Dan, I do have a pair of rollbacks (6x9 lever and 6x6 knob) for my Crown. My Crown doesn't have the cam and doesn't have the rangefinder. I was thinking of getting a 2x3 to handhold (assuming the rangefinder could be adjusted).

I went a purchased a Graphic View with a glafloc back, so much for going smaller. The GV should keep me busy for awhile.

I have a copy of GGP (1940) coming which should help.

William
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: