Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Photos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found some old family photos taken in the late 1800's. I cannot believe the quality and condition. They are all studio shots. I guess this shows that great quality photos can be taken with uncoated lens, who knows what kind of lighting. I know that color sometimes degrades after a few years, but these are over 100 years old and of course black and white sepia toned. Russ
Springback

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. Last year I came across a trunk that had been stored under horrible conditions---in a basement of an old house for twenty years, then 40 years in the rafters of a garage with a leaky roof, where the temps reach well over 140 deg. here in the sunny West. The photos, which date from the 1890's to the 1930's look like new. They were mounted on mats or in cardstock "cabinets" I wonder how they did that? I didn't think the term "archival" had been coined back then.
-----regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: