Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New XL; what does this do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disemjg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my first XL, and there are two things I can't figure out. What does the chrome button on top of the camera do? And what is the small switch on the side of the shutter for, the one that is marked -1-?

And the focus is pretty stiff; is that typical, or should I lube the three tabs that ride in the spiral slots?
jdman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to XL land. First the chrome button releases the lens. Turn the lens CCW as far as you can press the button then turn until the lens releases from the body. Mine has a Graflex Copal 0 shutter and dose not have the button your mention. It may be a button to open the shutter for focusing without going to T on the shutter. As far as stiff focusing this seems to be the trademark of this camera. Some will not even move below 50 degrees. I have did extensive work on mine for this problem, including disassembling the focus assy, sanding, lubing, and adjusting. Not sure exactly what fixed it but it now has focus that is not stiff. It will take more than lube to fix this problem. When you see focus tabs sheared off, it is causeed by trying to focus in too cold of temp, and putting to much strain on the tabs. Good Luck Russ
Alfie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chrome button on top of the viewfinder adjusts the rangefinder to the lens mounted. Turning the focus ring to infinity then pressing down on the button (hold it down for a moment or two) should adjust the rangefinder to the lens you've mounted. This assumes that the RF is working correctly, which I've found is not always the case.

The button to release the lens is on the camera body, below the viewfinder window. It is above and to the right of the focus ring, if you're looking at the camera from the front (i.e. if you were looking into the lens). To release the lens, hold this button down while turning the focus ring past the closest focus then ease the lens out. Be gentle - you might have to wiggle it a bit, but it will come out.

As I recall, I owned my first XL for over a year before I learned that it was an interchangeable lens camera.

A lot of people knock the XL, but if you have a good one you can take fantastic photos with it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine!

[ This Message was edited by: Alfie on 2004-01-02 01:07 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex XL Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: