Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The date on my Century Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davebias

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found slightly conflicting info on this site regarding the date of manufacture on my Century.

I have #532951 and under the track it says E5B.

So from what I read on the manufacturing codes page (http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/manufacturing-code.html) - this puts my model at May 1965. But another page says Century Graphics were only made until '64.

Not that it's all that critical... I would just like to know because it seems to me from what I've seen on eBay and in camera shops here in NYC that I have one of the last models of this camera.

Oh, and one more thing - I put the red bellows from #520368 on this model because I like it better in red (although you can see my other posts about my issues with this bellows). So the question is, from a collector's perspective, have I devalued the camera by modifying it? Or is it the opposite?

just curious...
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe the date code on your Century bed plate. Gandolf may confirm by
the serial no.

According to Richard Paine's book "A Review of Graflex," the Century was made until 1970, so either there's a wrong date on the Board or maybe you misread?

Again according to Paine, the Century was produced in black or gray with black or red bellows. A gray body/black bellows "deluxe" version was issued in 1966 and dubbed the Century Professional.

If you happen to have one of the latter, I wouldn't mess with it. You may want to wait until Gandolf confirms your camera's date.

(Since you're new to the Board, you may not know about Gandolf---he[?] is keeper of the Graflex Co. serial number archives. When he sees your query he will no doubt post a date for your camera.)

Henry
Gandolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial number dates the camera to 1953...

As with most religions, the Book of Graflex often gives ambiguous answers.

Perhaps the camera went back to the factory.
Perhaps the rails are not original.

Other parts of the camera may give a clue....
A Trioptar in a Century shutter would be from te 50s, while a Graflar in an SVS Prontor would be 60s.

davebias

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I'm really confused... Or as my dad used to say in such situations - "Corn-fused!"

The info on my camera: serial #532952/E5B

The Century page on this site says: "If your camera was manufactured (roughly) 1960-1973, then it is possible to gain some manufacturing information from the manufacturing code, which is stamped in ink in a inconspicuous location."

And as I said, the stamp says E5B. Hence my assumption that I have a camera from 1965.

And on the "major products list" page, I find this: "23 Century Graphic (above Ser. No. 532884 Black Bellows) ----- 1964"

And the serial # on my camera is certainly above 532884...

Not to doubt your wisdom Gandolf. but are you "sure" of that 1953 date?

Henry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A date of 1953 for your Century #520368 makes sense. Gandolf has dated my Century Graphic serial #523213 at 1954.

I think if you ask him again, Gandolf may confirm that later date for your #532951 Century.

Henry

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2003-11-05 10:54 ]
Gandolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1953 date is correct....but for the camera with the red bellows...#520xxx. This would have been and early red bellows camera.

The other camera with the #532xxx dates to sometime in 1964, thus a May '65 date code is plausable.

Other times the ambiguity lies not with in the pages but between the ears.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....or, as the old-time HAM radio guys used to say, "a short circuit between the headphones."

As, for example, the one I suffered when I wrote the above, which should, I think, read "a short circuit between the EARphones."

Henry (a/k/a "Mush Brain")

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2003-11-09 13:47 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: