Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chimney on RB Series B all one piece?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
semihemi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent the better part of an hour disassembling the chimney hood on my 4x5 SLR. It was completely falling apart and I wanted to save the little stiffening panels for use as templates when fabricating the new hood. All were removed successfully.

My question concerns the leather. As far as I can tell by spreading the tattered carcass on a table, the whole shebang is a single piece of leather. This seems like a stroke of good fortune - maybe too good to be true. Can anyone confirm that these hoods are indeed built up from a single piece of leather?

Many thanks,

John
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you take a *very* small cow and a *really* sharp knife....two cuts across the small end ought to do it.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hoods are a composit material...if you look real close at a spot that has worn thru, you will see a fabric backing! It has had me fooled for years, I only reciently discovered that it was not real leather! I have tried to get leather thin enough to duplicate the original, and every piece of leather I have ever found>>>even 1 oz material is to thick<<< and the finished hood will not fold easily or properly!
I suggest a compromise.....get bellows material, and install the rubberized side outside, on the outer layer, and black cotton for the inner layer!
Neatsfoot Oil still softens the >old hoods and bellows<, and cleans as well, so havent changed my mind on that, as I have used Neatsfoot for years on both!
FORGOT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION...Yes the hood is one piece, with lap joint on backside.....Bert

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2003-11-16 20:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2003-11-16 20:44 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: