Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a tripod for a Graphic View II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 4:30 pm    Post subject: Looking for a tripod for a Graphic View II Reply with quote

Can I use the legs off a Bogen or other tripod?

Do I need to get the head for it??

The camera has a 1/4" thread and most decent tripods have 3/8" thread on the legs.

Any suggestions??
________
FREE WORDPRESS THEMES

Last edited by Fishhead on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could call bogen and see if they have a way of changing the tripod stud to 1/4 20. I've found Bogen to be very reasonable with their parts prices.

If you have access to somebody with a metal lathe you could have a 1'4 thick by 2"? cookie made out of aluminum with the 3/8 stud in the center and the 1/4" stud slightly offset.

The last option is to find a video head used (the Bogen version for about $20 not a Mitchell fluid head at $1200) Mount this so it will pivot the camera left and right, then the camera mount will pivot/tilt up and down.
Fishhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have been looking at an old Majestic tripod. I guess this was built for a 8X10 camera. It has a large tilting plate..

Is it a bad idea to have both heads on top of each other??
________
iolite vaporizer

Last edited by Fishhead on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, but unless you have a need for a very tall perspective a Majestic is certainly overkill. I suspect the large plate will get in the way of the handle of the camera's head.

Fishhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it overkill because of height? Or size of the head..
________
herbal vaporizer forum

Les

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of the plate (6x6 I think) may interefere with the tilt of the camera mount, but weight is the biggest problem. Majestic tripods are not light weight in the least. Infact when I did table top photography I mounted a 3ftx3ft plywood on one to use as the table and then used the geared tilt and rise to tweak the composition.

I recently went on a weekend vacation with my Pacemaker crown 3 lenses, filmholders and a Bogen 3020 with a joystick head. The case weight in the neighborhood of 15 lbs, the tripod 3-5. It was difficult enough walking the hills with that. A Graphic View in a case with a couple of lenses will weigh that much or more, add a 20 lb tripod and you won't be walking very far

Another tripod that might work out of the box is the Star-D, I'm not sure what thread it has or even if you can get it without a head but it's built every bit as well as a Bogen

Fishhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I stay away from the wooden tripods with the flat head?

Or will these also work..

I was offered one for $40

________
Toyota Cresta specifications

BigBadJohn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Majestic 2000 for heights of 4ft or higher, and a Bogen 3021 w/3126 video head for less than 4ft. I too have a View II and I had the 1/4" mount drilled and put in an insert for 3/8".
Fishhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting a bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 head.

I am going to try removing the 3047 head and getting the bogen adapter and trying it that way.

but I am unsure about the 3051 tripod.. it seems like WAY overkill.

________
CHEVROLET BEL AIR

Last edited by Fishhead on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the same set up (3050/3047) for my Calumet MX Which you could say was the '80 equivilent of the GVII. I like the tripod for the height it can give me (around 6ft before a head) and when I occasionally had access to an 8x10 it took it with ease.

So while it was overkill if you want to backpack, I think you'll find that it's the best value for its size (normal gitzos are heavier, carbon fiber gitzos are more expensive) and a smaller, lighter tripod won't get you more than eye height.

Texas Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-07-24 07:26, Fishhead wrote:
I ended up getting a bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 head.

I am going to try removing the 3047 head and getting the bogen adapter and trying it that way.

but I am unsure about the 3051 tripod.. it seems like WAY overkill.

I also have the old 3050/3047 combo. My 3047 has the old quick release head (screw lock). Unless Bogen/Manfrotto have changed them, there are both 3/8 and 1/4 thread hex plates available for the Bogen heads. While the 3050/3051 might seem like overkill, they are stable as all get out. Of course I don't plan on carrying that rig very far from a vehicle.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 3047 Bogen can come with either thread on the plate, infact every QuickRelease Bogen makes comes in both forms.

The question originally was, "Could I get away without the expense of a head?" since the GV come with a tilt head built in.

Multi plane tilt heads on tripods is something relatively new. 50 years ago it was common NOT to have a head on the tripod. I still thing you could easily modify a bogen tripod to 1/4 20 without a head.
Texas Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. Though I find the 3047 is far more capable than the minimal capability of the GVII, and the loacking handles are far easier for me to twist (I know, very subjective). Why he would want to remove the 3047 from the 3051/3047 combo he bought (later post) and then adapt the GVII to 3/8 thread escapes me at the moment. Perhaps for the challenge? Weight saving? Wants to make it harder to mount the camera than it is with the Bogen/Manfrotto QR hex plates? Of course it is his to do with as he pleases.
Texas Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that it isn't very late (in my part of the country), the answer which should have been obvious has finally struck home. He wants the 3047 head off to make leveling easier and he doesn't plan much use of the tripod for smaller formats. I struggled with a lighter, shorter tripod for years (using a sling to weight it down, etc). I have found the 3050 just what I need for both height at any time and stability when the wind is blowing 25 mph and gusting to 35 or more. amazing what understanding can dawn on me when it is after 7:00 A.M.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that this thread is old and tattered Texas Ed hinted at the solution.

Bogen makes the body for their QR plates, no head just the body, so you can adapt a different brand tripod.

Buy one of these and if it doesn't have a 3/8 x20 threaded hole in the bottom, MAKE it so!

Now you've got a QR plate on the bottom of the GV and the weight and money savings of not having a second head!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: