Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic Graflex Photography

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsdean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a 1947 edition of GGP when I started in on this project, and I'm afraid that I'm wearing the poor old book out. I started wondering how much change there was from one edition to the next--is there anyone who has a collection of them who would care to comment on the differences?

Rob Dean

Henry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are folks on this board with lots more familiarity than I have, but my impression (based on looking at several different editions) is that they *can* be quite different. I wanted a tenth edition (1954) because it corresponds exactly with the year my Century was made. All of the then current lenses are discussed in the lens chapter, and overall it's a useful reference when I want to go looking for appropriate accessories. An earlier or later edition wouldn't have near the relevance for me. So my advice is to look for the edition that goes with the age of your camera!
Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only EDITION I"m missing is the 6th.
The first three or four editions are about the same, infact the second edtion is really a reprint of the 1st.
The 8th edition has several reprints. From what I've heard the only changes are the ads in the back.

When I"m answering questions on this board I usually reach for the 9th 10th or 11th editions.

I originally collected "the set" to look for changes in equipment thinking it would show up in ads and illustrations. NOT TRUE!

Graflex tended to use the same photograph again and again even though the revised the look of the Graflex flash or changed the lok mechanism on the Graphic View two or three years before!
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the 8th edition was the pivotal one. It was the 3rd printing (I think) that introduced the Graflok back. The 2nd (I think again) didn't have that info in it. I don't know about different printing of other editions?

rsdean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an early printing of the 8th edition, without anything on the Graflok back. This corresponds to the camera, so it was invaluable in the early stages for knowing what all the features were. Lately, I've been looking more carefully at the chapters with content not restricted to specific technical means--i.e. Portraiture rather than Ansco Color. The section on Printing was by Ansel Adams, with a comment that he'd used a different example negative in the previous editions. Hence my curiousity...

Rob Dean

Les

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the 4th printing (Oct '50) of the 8th ed. that introduces the Graflok back, the Grafmatic, and the 22 and 23 roll film holders and the GV II. I guess all that was reason enough for a rewrite.

the ninth ed came out in '52 a good two years later.
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-01 21:03, Les wrote:
It's the 4th printing (Oct '50) of the 8th ed. that introduces the Graflok back, the Grafmatic, and the 22 and 23 roll film holders and the GV II. I guess all that was reason enough for a rewrite.

the ninth ed came out in '52 a good two years later.

Sorry 'bout that. I have it up on the shelf somewhere and didn't bother to get it down to check. I don't use the 8th any more since I finally picked up a 10th & 11th. For me, the 10th is the most used since I don't have anything newer than that. And the 9th sits in a prominent place as it's almost exactly as old as I In slightly better shape though ...

It is nice to have many of the editions as not only does some of the content change, but so do the photos. It's very interesting to see the difference between the public printing and the military version!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: