Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Length of Battery Case/Tube?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now to the point where I am going to start cutting the chrome tubing for my modified hybrid strobe flashgun (that uses a strobe tube instead of flash bulbs), and have finally rounded up the various parts and electronics so I won't have to trash or destroy an existing Graflex, Graflite, King Sol, Heiland, etc. flashbulb gun (which was my goal when I started this project).

I have several "Graflite" #2773 3 Cell battery cases that I already use for flashbulbs and they measure out from the top (with the reflector removed) to the bottom of the black battery cap at exactly 11 inches (28cm/280mm).

The reason for this post is to ask if anyone can tell me the exact length of the older "Graflex" chrome 3 Cell battery cases (the ones the SW people like).

I am guessing perhaps the same length, and for now I'll be using a "newer" 7 inch reflector on top, but hope to perhaps consider another type of reflector more in line with the older chrome tubes that could be fitted to the modified hybrid flashgun.

I stopped at the local hardware store around the corner and spent almost an hour talking to several of the sales people and came away with more ideas on other materials for the flashgun, one "idea" of which was a 90 degree strobe flashgun using a 90 degree bend plumbing fixture and a chrome mixing bowl, (Rube Goldberg, here I come).

"graflite"
worldphoto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflite
I know this is an old post and I don't have one of the old Graflex tubes. I do own an old Heiland Research Corp. chrome tube (3-battery) that measures 9.5 inches long. It maybe a copy of the old Graflex tube.
Also, you might be able to ask a seller of a Gaflex tube on eBay to measure it for you.
I've gotten a lot of info by that method.
Harry
Graflite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry:

Thanks for the info on the Heiland battery tube, I too think the Heiland tube is similar to the "older" Graflex from what I have seen of both.

I finally settled on a length of the battery tube as 11.25 inches as this is where the tubing cutter made the cut as it rested against the flared lip at the end, so in the end, a convenience made the decision instead.

I cut several 1.50 inch diameter chrome plumbing pipes to this length and mounted an older Stroboflash head to one using a rubber battery tube adapter and it really looks a lot nicer than using a shorter black steel tube.

Thanks again for the info.

graflite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: