Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photographic doldrums
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without taking to the smelling salts...why not go the route of getting an EPSON flatbed scanner,taking up to 5x4...
A good photo printer,install Adobe Photoshop on the computer to manipulate and do away with the darkroom idea.

Yes,I know,I expect like holding a red rag to a bull this idea might entail...but it works when you don't have a darkroom facility.
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-15 06:44, Graflex Sid wrote:
Without taking to the smelling salts...why not go the route of getting an EPSON flatbed scanner,taking up to 5x4...
A good photo printer,install Adobe Photoshop on the computer to manipulate and do away with the darkroom idea.

Yes,I know,I expect like holding a red rag to a bull this idea might entail...but it works when you don't have a darkroom facility.

I'm sure some people would like to throw stones at those suggestions... I'm not that fanatical. But I really don't like digital anything. My scanner is primarily used as a copy machine and to get photos onto web sites. And it works just fine. So when the time comes that I need a new scanner, I'll look into one with a transparency adapter. But I would never buy one to do a "digital darkroom". And I am in the category of 'digital printing does not come close to silver, period!' I would never be happy printing digital. And the cost is still too high. Speaking of which; I would also never pay the going rate for photoshop. It may be a nice program, but it's typical Adobe over-bloated and way over priced. There are far more reasonable alternatives.

Your suggestions are valid, but I have little interest in digital imaging (it's _not_ photography after all). I've done some form of digital imaging from all the way back when the best one could do was use ASCII characters, then redefining the character set, then finally being able to manipulate individual monochrome pixels, through to now. It doesn't thrill me anymore... I'll stick with the traditional processes...

Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course,you are right...my problem is,I don't have a 2x3 or larger enlarger.If I did,maybe them I'd use it.

...although the scanner (which takes 2x3 in my case)is ideal for sending JPEGS out via emails.

What do they say,horses for courses...

p.s.have you noticed when your trying to photograph people looking somewhere else-as soon as the Graphic comes to your eye,they all look your way.At least WEEGEE never had this trouble,his clients were already dead!
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-15 10:11, Graflex Sid wrote:
Of course,you are right...my problem is,I don't have a 2x3 or larger enlarger.If I did,maybe them I'd use it.

...although the scanner (which takes 2x3 in my case)is ideal for sending JPEGS out via emails.

What do they say,horses for courses...

p.s.have you noticed when your trying to photograph people looking somewhere else-as soon as the Graphic comes to your eye,they all look your way.At least WEEGEE never had this trouble,his clients were already dead!

Aww, gee, 2x3 enlargers are pretty easy to come by. My old 35mm enlarger (a Spiratone I believe?) will even do that and I used it for 6x6 quite a bit. It's 4x5 & up that gets a bit more expensive. That's why I have high hopes for my Graflarger when I get the time & room.

If I had a better scanner, I would be more than happy to use it until I get the darkroom set back up. But for the cost of new digital equipment, I could buy new photo equipment and be much happier! I'm not anti-digital. I just don't see it as a replacement for photography...

And I thought Weegee did go around shooting live people? I never did do much photo reading so I may be wrong. But didn't he shoot that famous photo of the people in the movie theater?

Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is your sense of humour,RichS..of course Weegee,photographed the living as well.
I was just making a point that's all.Talking of the Gentleman,a current magazine here has published his,so say,life story...and not once did they mention his famous Graphic camera nor his real name.

I rest my case...
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, Mr. Fellig would not attract much attention with his Speed Graphic, as that was the technology of the day.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry Sid. Just showing my ignorance as I don't really know what he photographed except for hearing some mentionings of his walking the streets with his Speed... I should read more...

If they didn't mention his name or the Graphic, what's left? Or did he have a 'real life' that we don't know about?

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-15 10:57, RichS wrote:
It's 4x5 & up that gets a bit more expensive. That's why I have high hopes for my Graflarger when I get the time & room.

Actually if you're patient you can get 4x5 or bigger enlargers for very cheap. The things are so big that shipping can be the problem. A week or two ago somebody on Ebay got a Durst 1000 for less then $200. I think it might even of had a lens.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of 2X3 enlargers I'd GIVE to someone if you want to pay for shipping. I collected too many. Fred.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gees, I'd be real tempted by that offer. But having the old 35mm (that does do 6x6), I would feel bad if it didn't go to someone who didn't have one at all. But if noone takes you up on it, let me know!

And Nick. If you see a deal on an 8x10 enlarger, let me know!!! I would love to own such a beast and would gladly pay the shipping on it. What an incentive that would be to finally build the darkroom! Although it might have to be a bit bigger

Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually,the problem Im facing here in GB is,once the Graphic appears on the scene,eg.holding it too the face,everyone turns and wants to speak to you,or clear a path for you to operate...

It's reminisce time...please,not while Im cocking the shutter,the aperture,the speed,the rangefinder,the exposure meter,changing the film holders,removing the slide,or moving the film on if 120.

I should have a notice around my neck,"Stand well clear of operator" or "Do Not Disturb" but then we are dealing with a REAL camera,as I can hear people say as they pass.

Of course you are-never mind it's age,people still gasp at it's workmanship,it's style,it's power...and it's long history.

...the only thing is,you have to have your wits about you if you get surrounded by people,ready for questions,at the same time watching for a picture.

The results,magic!

rsdean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-17 05:01, Graflex Sid wrote:
Actually,the problem Im facing here in GB is,once the Graphic appears on the scene,eg.holding it too the face,everyone turns and wants to speak to you,or clear a path for you to operate...

I do notice that shooting with the Graphic attracts a lot of attention. I took mine out to Antietam the other week while doing a battlefield visit with an old friend, and ended up doing an impromptu demonstration for half a troop of Boy Scouts. I will admit that I'm gradually getting better at keeping track of what I'm doing while talking at the same time--last year this time that would have resulted in a 25% spoilage rate. I've only lost one out of the last twenty or so due to loss of attention while talking, and that was the day the town was flooded so I was a little flustered wondering when I was going to evacuate. (-:

Rob Dean

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Devere 10x10 on Ebay now. You just need to drive to Portland to pick it up-))) Oh and build a new building to hold the thing.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess it's a bit difficult to get a candid shot with a Graphic Although at the events I attend, I notice that most people don't seem to notice much of anything at all...

Nick: I took a look at that enlarger. My first thought was "who would spend that kind of money on an enlarger?" After looking it over, my second thought was "how could I get it here?". What a piece of equipment! I could just play with that thing for the fun of it, let alone enlarging. I would hate to think of the packing & shipping charges though... There must be a more managable 8x10 enlarger in the world someplace? Unfortunately, I never had any reason to look into it and have no idea what was made. I have managed to discover the Omega D2 (or DII?) for 4x5 and that's about it, and I still haven't managed to find one I was willing to afford... Maybe someday?

clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Can't even give these old enlargers away. Guess that's why the price was only about 10 bucks for the Dejur...Federal...and the Kodak Hobbyist. The shipping was about three times what the price was. Oh well, they do make nice conversation pieces. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: