Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark Slide Holder?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
worldphoto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957453023&category=29973
Has anyone come up with a Dark Slide Holder like Hasselblad has for its' film back?
Harry
Graflite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry:

I can't think of any for the Graflex, but the film backs on my Rapid Omega 100 and 200 camera's has a built in dark slide holder for both the 120 and 220 film size backs.

graflite
Les

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a love/hate relationship with roll film holders.

for 2x3 I find them great, it allows me to use the camera hand held, like it should be and still allow me to save for my daughter's college fund.

But when rangefinder focusing, I leave the darkslide at home. I'm never using this camera in a situation where I'd need to switch backs, so the darkslide is a liability.

Now when shooting 4x5 on a tripod with a roll back is where I hate the Graflex holders. Not only do you need the darkslide holder, but a Ground Glass holder too, since you have to keep swapping out the Ground glass with the roll holder.

I prefer the Calumet C2 or C2N roll holder. It slides in like a film holder, and when tripoding I just leave the film holder on the bed of the camera under the bellows.

For Sheet film, and I suppose the C2 as well, there were hooks or clips on the ground glass cover that kept the darkslide. Granted I don't thing you can swing the cover up when using these holders, they were for RF focusing only.

Les
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-18 11:44, Les wrote:
I have a love/hate relationship with roll film holders.

for 2x3 I find them great, it allows me to use the camera hand held, like it should be and still allow me to save for my daughter's college fund.

But when rangefinder focusing, I leave the darkslide at home. I'm never using this camera in a situation where I'd need to switch backs, so the darkslide is a liability.

Now when shooting 4x5 on a tripod with a roll back is where I hate the Graflex holders. Not only do you need the darkslide holder, but a Ground Glass holder too, since you have to keep swapping out the Ground glass with the roll holder.

I prefer the Calumet C2 or C2N roll holder. It slides in like a film holder, and when tripoding I just leave the film holder on the bed of the camera under the bellows.

For Sheet film, and I suppose the C2 as well, there were hooks or clips on the ground glass cover that kept the darkslide. Granted I don't thing you can swing the cover up when using these holders, they were for RF focusing only.

Les

Why do you pull the dark slide all the way out?

Cheers,

Dan
worldphoto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Dan's question was aimed more toward Les. Okay, why not leave the dark slide in the holder?
I have done some measurements of a sheet film holder and a "23" Graphic Back. Both dark slides allowed less than one inch of dark slide in the holder first to clear the film frame and second to hold the dark slide before it falls to the ground.
Harry

worldphoto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2959596974&category=15247
One photographer's solution for storing a Graphic Back Dark Slide. Certainly not a thing of beauty, but workable!
worldphoto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having built in darkslide holders like the Rapid Omega and the Graflok back sure help the storage problem. My only idea when the graflok back needs to be removed is to store the darkslide with the graflok back. My view cameras happen to be wood so the idea hit me to get double duty with my 4x5 and 8x10 darkslides by using one the spring clamps made, I believe by Graflex, to clamp the darkslides and also shade my lens. I've usually used them to locate an additional flash or two (clamped to a table top or lamp post). It has a 1/4"-20 screw on the other end that can be threaded into a properly placed threaded brass insert on the view camera. The only markings I have on one of the spring clamps is: Kalart 'Kalite' & made in USA.
Harry
These are very light weight, less than 6 oz. and strong clamp with a rubber hose protection for the darkslide.

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-10-31 21:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-11-04 09:42 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: