Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart Rangefinder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moakes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just purchased a Century Graphic with a Kalart Rangefinder.This is the first one I have owned so do not know a great deal about it.
It looks as though there may have been something attached to the top,maybe an eyepiece or something as there is a screw missing.I cannot find a photo of this camera to see if they had anything on top of the rangefinder.
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try looking here:
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/century-graphic.html

alecj

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a hole, with a bayonet mount, that's where the Kalart Focuspot [a small light] was mounted. The rangefinder came with a plate over that hole, and one screw to hold it in place.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alec, et al...

This reminds me of a couple of questions that I had meant to ask at one time, but then the questions escaped me almost as fast as they entered my cavernous cranium...

Some time ago, I was able to obtain a FocusSpot from a local dealer near me (south of Boston) who has alot of Graflex odds and ends. The focusspot came with a small bracket attached to it which in some way could be attached to the top of the rangefinder housing by a couple of small machine screws. My problem is that i have an encircling bracket round the rangefinder (i guess as protection from having to mount the Graflite case directly to the RF housing). With the encircling bracket in place i cannot get the focusspot & mounting plate to properly line up so as to mount it with the small screws. So i just put the focusspot into the bayonet mount without its bracket, but it wants to swivel around (there's quite a bit of play & it's loose) whenever the HH-to-solenoid cord comes in contact with it.

On another related note, for my 4x5 Crown Graphic i was able to get one of the telescoping optical focusscopes which you recommended to me a while back, Alec. My question on this would be are there different length focusscopes available for different size Graphics, i.e. 2x3, 3x4, 4x5?? The focusscope I have screws into the rear RF window with no problem, but it doesn't extend back flush with the back of the camera, so I kinda have to scrunch the left side of my face up against the Graflok back in order to put my right eye up to the focusscope eyepiece. It almost seems like the focusscope I have was intended to be used on a 2x3 or 3x4 Graphic, rather than my 4x5.

This is just my weary brain working on overload again, I guess............
Thanks for any replies.
SG

[ This Message was edited by: sobahguy on 2003-06-24 10:00 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
On 2003-06-24 09:57, sobahguy wrote:
Hi Alec, et al...

This reminds me of a couple of questions that I had meant to ask at one time, but then the questions escaped me almost as fast as they entered my cavernous cranium...

Some time ago, I was able to obtain a FocusSpot from a local dealer near me (south of Boston) who has alot of Graflex odds and ends. The focusspot came with a small bracket attached to it which in some way could be attached to the top of the rangefinder housing by a couple of small machine screws. My problem is that i have an encircling bracket round the rangefinder (i guess as protection from having to mount the Graflite case directly to the RF housing). With the encircling bracket in place i cannot get the focusspot & mounting plate to properly line up so as to mount it with the small screws. So i just put the focusspot into the bayonet mount without its bracket, but it wants to swivel around (there's quite a bit of play & it's loose) whenever the HH-to-solenoid cord comes in contact with it.

If you are using the Graflite flash connections, you don't HAVE to use the encircling bracket. The Graflite part that actually connects to the Graflite clamps can be mounted directly to that plate that should be on the side of your Kalart rangefinder. Then, you could screw down the bracket to hold the Focuspot in place.

On another related note, for my 4x5 Crown Graphic i was able to get one of the telescoping optical focusscopes which you recommended to me a while back, Alec. My question on this would be are there different length focusscopes available for different size Graphics, i.e. 2x3, 3x4, 4x5?? The focusscope I have screws into the rear RF window with no problem, but it doesn't extend back flush with the back of the camera, so I kinda have to scrunch the left side of my face up against the Graflok back in order to put my right eye up to the focusscope eyepiece. It almost seems like the focusscope I have was intended to be used on a 2x3 or 3x4 Graphic, rather than my 4x5.

Looking at the Focuscope literature, they don't mention different models [lengths]. I know the rigid model is longer, but I sure don't recommend it. I never noticed mine being too short to use [I have a SRF 45 Crown].

This is just my weary brain working on overload again, I guess............
Thanks for any replies.
SG

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-06-25 16:17 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: