Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XL range finder problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaimoni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XL coupled rangefinder disengages when distance is less than 3 feet. Also, at a measured distance of 6 feet, it indicates 4. The lens is the Zeiss 80 mm Planar. Any help on this?
antjam65

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RF coupling on my 80mm Planar cuts out at 2.5 feet and closer. It seems like this must be the way it's made? Maybe at such close distances the RF isn't accurate enough so its use is made unavailable by this method, or there's a physical limitation to the size of the rangefinder cam in the lens barrel that makes it cut out after a certain point?
In terms of the distance scale/actual distance not coinciding, mine seems pretty close on that front. Are your shots in focus? As long as shots focused with the rangefinder are in focus, I suppose I wouldn't care about what the distance scale read, but that's just my opinion. Depending on what you're doing, it may be important, I suppose.
antjam65

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked some Graflex XL literature I have and the 80mm Planar is listed as:

"Focusing Range (Scale)...inf-2 1/2 ft."
"Focusing Range (Rangefinder)...inf-3 ft."

I actually have two 80mm Planars and I just checked my other one on a different XL body that I know to also have an accurate rangefinder and both my 80mm Planars focus with the RF until 2 1/2 feet (as shown on the lens' distance scale; I also checked focus with the the groundglass back and it looked sharp).

So I guess your 80mm Planar is normal and now the question is why do mine rangefinder couple to 2 1/2 feet? Maybe the specs changed over time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex XL Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: