Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart Speed Flash w Automatic Synchronizer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaymead2

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I have recently made what I think is a bit of a bargain purchase, but need some help to determine the proper operation of a Kalart Speed Flash with synchronizer. It was bought on eBay from an antique dealer. It is almost like brand new. It came with all the mounting brackets to fit any "Classic" camera. I have the mechanical cable in excellent condition and have tested it on one of my Graphex shutters and it triggers the shutte beautifully every time! I didn't get any electrical cables with it but I wonder if it will fire a flash bulb with just the mechanical trigger. It had 3 "C" dry cells still in the handle with expiration date of 1953 and all 3 were remarkably free of any major corrosion and the inside of the handle and contacts are still in great shape-better than the flash light I keep around the house! My question is basically will it fire a flash bulb with 3 modern "C" cells using only the mechanical trigger and since it has a 5" reflector what bulbs would be good for use? I have a lovely Super Speed Graphic that is ready to take pictures and also several other older vintage cameras that this flash could be set up on such as my Voigtlander Avus and Bergheil, Zeiss Trona, and even my personal favorite "pocket size" Burlegh Brooks Bee Bee 6x9. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. The Kalart flash gun also has two different types of cord hook ups, a twin prong round pin and a twin prong flat type. I can't believe I found this beauty on eBay so cheap, but I guess if I were a purist and tried to get a Graphex one I would be hard pressed to find one as complete and in as good condition. One other thing the reflector can be changed so should I look for a 7" one for a longer range? What makes a good shield for the occasional flash bulb explosion?
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kalart Speed Flash and a synchronizer. With fresh batteries and the two prongs on the synchronizer plugged into the upper-most 2-pin receptacle on the flash handle, the cable release plunger closes the contact to ignite the flashbulb 20 ms before the cable release trips the shutter, when properly adjusted. If you look at the body of the synchronizer, there is a setting for M or F. The M is for regular magnesium-filled flashbulbs with a 20ms delay requirement and the F is for the gas-filled flashbulbs with a 5ms requirement. Adjustment of the trip-point is critical, and I have found that when you get the adjustment correct, you cannot move the cable or the adjustment will be affected. The other cable is designed to plug into the same flash 2-pin receptacle, but is to be used with shutters with built-in sync. I use the 7" reflector for shots with close-up subjects, and the 5" for things farther away. As for a make-shift flash guard, a clear-plastic baggie slipped over the lamp and reflector will work, although most later-production flashbulbs had a heavy plastic coating to prevent catastophic shattering of glass. Fred.
jaymead2

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fred for the great info! I pulled the old beauty out tonite after I read your message and discovered some things I had not realized when I first looked it over. The synchronizer trigger unit is removable! I was suprised. So if I read your suggestions correctly the trigger/synchronizer can be plugged into the uppermost set of contacts on the side nearest the top and close to the two prong plug. This puts the synchro unit on the inside in a position (with my flash unit on the right side of the SS Graphic)closer to the camera with the writing upside down, but the plunger in a safe position where it won't be as easily tripped. I haven't even thought about adjusting it yet as I have not yet picked up any flash bulbs. I see a lot of them on eBay for various prices. I am wondering if there is a specific type that seems to work best with the Kalart gun? I have read the flash bulb section on this site but still would like a suggestion or two as to the best bulb types since I am a young fellow and the only flash bulbs I used were the old cube type which obvilously won't work with this gun. Is the #5 GE bulb the standard. I am also wondering if there is a table to determine the GN on these bulbs or should I look into getting a flash meter to get an accurate reading of the output. I guess since the bulbs are old the output is going to vary to some extent, but if I manage to buy a box full of the same lot number am I the least bit safe in thinking that they might give me similar results if they are in good condition?
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kalart Speedgun accepts screw-base lamps (same base as ordinary lightbulbs), which are the pricey 11's, 22's, 40's, etc. To use the bayonet-base 5's and 25's, you'll need an adapter, seen quite often on ebay. Any of these lamps will work with your synchonizer set on "M". Age shouldn't be a factor. If you buy any of these lamps in their original carton, there should be a table of Guide Numbers printed on the carton. For example, the guide number for a G-E #5 in a 4-to-6" reflector, with Tri-X film is 550....Plus-X 300. However, I believe today's Tri-X is rated at 400 ASA, whereas when these lamps were manufactured I believe Tri-X was rated at about 320, so a couple of test shots may be in order. Fred.
jaymead2

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Fred. That makes it a lot easier to determine what to do to put the beauty to work. I will go scour eBay for an adapter and some bulbs and see what I can scare up. I fugure that there will have to be some work up to get the flashgun fine tuned, but I haven't touched the settings yet as it is already set on "M" and I hope to get lucky and be on the money from the get go. If not well the learning curve won't be so bad as I can tell you know your stuff and will be able to fix my rookie mistakes. Thanks again for the info-much appreciated! I will go back to the flash section and re-read the info there again too as it is very helpful also. Thanks to you great folks who are running this website!
James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: