Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you use your Graflex/Graphic Camera for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilkidm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of a continuation of the previous post of the Graphic being used at a Government hearing. What do you use your Gralex of Graphic camera for? When my returns from being fixed up by Lustig I plan to use it for a variety of hand-held and tripod applications. I've always wanted to take a photo of a speeding train or other object with the focal plane shutter so I can replicate the "lean" effect I see in old photos.
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-03-29 07:01, wilkidm wrote:
This is kind of a continuation of the previous post of the Graphic being used at a Government hearing. What do you use your Gralex of Graphic camera for? When my returns from being fixed up by Lustig I plan to use it for a variety of hand-held and tripod applications. I've always wanted to take a photo of a speeding train or other object with the focal plane shutter so I can replicate the "lean" effect I see in old photos.

I'm glad you mentioned that. When I got my first Speed, I wanted to try the FP Shutter for such a shot and it all got lost in buying more equipment and exploring 4x5. Forgot all about it...
As for your question, I suppose I'm in a different category because I'm not a photographer. I use the Graphics for two reasons.
One, because they're a major piece of American camera history, fun to use, a spectator curiosity and were made not far from where I live.
The other, because it's a darn good, dependable camera that gives me a negative just a bit larger than my 35mm And I do love the Polaroids... I use them whenever I have the stamina and courage to get them out of the house.
Although I've never used them hand-held. Most are aligned with their 'standard' lens and could be, but I like GG focusing and the full LF experience when I take one out. Slow going is more fun, most of the time...
As far as what they shoot, well, anything. Great for landscapes, close-ups, whatever. The only thing I don't try to do with a Graphic is chasing bumble bees through the field for that one great close shot... And I don't think I would try to put a group of people through the 'LF experience'. Doubt they would have the patience for it nowadays...
Springback

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a Graflex for just about anything you'd use a TLR or an SLR for. Bigger, and a little slower to use but the trade off is lovely 4x5 negatives you can contact print without anyone mistaking them for postage stamps. IMHO, they really shine when handheld! You can get shots that you can't get with a field camera or monorail, though at the expense of 'moves.' So far, I've used it to record my kids growing up(in glorious black&white), and to record property for insurance purposes as well as hand held architectural stuff. My Crown Graphic is alot like a Morgan sportscar---an anachronism that is way, way FUN! It may not be the biggest, fastest, or trendiest toy in the box but its got to be one of the funnest (an old omega D-2 or D-II makes a nice companion)Enjoy Your Camera!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-04-05 17:07, Springback wrote:
You can use a Graflex for just about anything you'd use a TLR or an SLR for. Bigger, and a little slower to use but the trade off is lovely 4x5 negatives you can contact print without anyone mistaking them for postage stamps. IMHO, they really shine when handheld! You can get shots that you can't get with a field camera or monorail, though at the expense of 'moves.' So far, I've used it to record my kids growing up(in glorious black&white), and to record property for insurance purposes as well as hand held architectural stuff. My Crown Graphic is alot like a Morgan sportscar---an anachronism that is way, way FUN! It may not be the biggest, fastest, or trendiest toy in the box but its got to be one of the funnest (an old omega D-2 or D-II makes a nice companion)Enjoy Your Camera!
Has a wooden chassis like a Morgan too!

Cheers,

Dan
marlenedegrood

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the crown and speed for aerial photography. Now I pretty much just use it for the 4x5 polaroids. It allows me to shoot as many sheets as I want without processing them. When I get home I can reinsert one into the polaroid back and process it for just10-15 seconds to transfer the negative onto watercolor paper. Any shots that I process in the field I allow full developement time and use those to do an emulsion transfer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: