Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

70mm film questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any body out there had experience with 70mm roll film?

I know there's a feed cassette and a take up cassette in the back.

My question is :
Do you need 2 cassettes for every 'load' or just one? and if just one, how do you thread the empty cassette in the field. at the church, etc.?

RichS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-04-11 19:50, Les wrote:
Has any body out there had experience with 70mm roll film?

I know there's a feed cassette and a take up cassette in the back.

My question is :
Do you need 2 cassettes for every 'load' or just one? and if just one, how do you thread the empty cassette in the field. at the church, etc.?

Okay, I can't help at al...
And this may not either? But on my web site, there's loading instructions from Keith Camera for the 70mm roll back complete with pics. Maybe it would answer your questions? Maybe it's completely different? Worth a look maybe? At http://www.southbristolviews.com under Graphic Manuals...
worldphoto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Roland Elliot over on Photo.net. It's said he is into 70mm film equipmt..
Harry
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really no big deal, Les. Yes, there are two cassettes per load, so the attaching of the roll to the second reel occurs ahead of time. Just use wide masking tape. There is a fair amount of tension pulling that amount of film, so you don't want it to slip.

What back are you using? Graflex, on a 4x5?, or the XL model?

I used it on a Hassy for years. Not many emulsions available anymore.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back is a near mint Singer for 4x5, and I just saw the same back for the XL-- all they did was screw on an adapter.

I was hopeful that I could get away with on cass. per roll ala 120/220 but couldn't see how it would work--that film has to be taped into the take up spool very well, and 2minutes before the bride goes down the isle is not the time to do it!

Actually I was suprised at how much film is still available! Kodak's portra films, and their chromo B&W is available. There just doesn't seem to be any B&W film other than aero, which is understandable.

So 70mm ends up being another 'format'. In order to work successfully you need:
[list]
[*]several cassettes,
[*]either a bulk film loader or an equivilent work around to load the cass.
[*] some sort of 70mm reel to handle long rolls, or invest in a Jobo system and thier 70mm reels (or get the lab to process)
[*] the appropriate neg carrier or a glass carrier and masks.

alecj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So 70mm ends up being another 'format'. In order to work successfully you need:
[list]
[*]several cassettes,
[*]either a bulk film loader or an equivilent work around to load the cass.
[*] some sort of 70mm reel to handle long rolls, or invest in a Jobo system and thier 70mm reels (or get the lab to process)
[*] the appropriate neg carrier or a glass carrier and masks."

I loaded my cassettes in my darkroom on the table using a device I made that would insert into, and engage, the end of the cassette reel. From some tests, I figured out how many turns I needed to get a specific length of film wound on the reel. I later found a Linhof stand that would do the same thing, more elegently.

I never used tanks. I got a reel for 15', and one for short lengths [12 exp]. Developed my B&W by dunking and twirling in 1 gal. plastic buckets.

You can get an old 6x6 negative carrier, file away the posts for 120 film, then put pins in for 70mm size. As you know, its just a little wider.

Re: films, I understand there is also a pretty good Agfa B&W film still being made.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: