Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic 4x5 RH 20 6x7 on a GV2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rchouser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like the ability to use a roll-back film holder on occasion. I like the idea of the portability and low cost of roll film. Can I use the 6X7 format and still get some swing and tilt with a 127mm? I am an absolute "new guy". Thanks for any advice
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember a whole lot of movements available for 4x5 with the 127. But it would have more for for 6x7 of course. The other difference is that it's a moderately wide angle for 4x5 and a moderately long lens for 6x7 An 80 or 90mm would be a 'normal' lens for the 6x7.
rchouser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be a wise choice then for film management for a "new guy" to large format. While learning this camera from front to rear, I want to minimize additional challanges (multiple film holders, dust, forgetting dark screens out/in etc.) I think I'm going to have plenty to do just managing the front end, and would like to "blow" the cheapest film possible. I am committed to the LF (I am truly tired of the limitations of my 35mm systems), but know that there is going to be a lot of trauma in the transition. Again, anyone feel free to advise me, but my first goal is just to get framed, focused, and film to print. thanks for your help.
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions like this are not only unwise, but dangerous... What is or would be right for me, could be totally wrong for you... But I'll offer my views anyway...
I bought a roll holder for my first Speed a long time ago thinking I would get a lot of use out of it. 120 film is so much cheaper and easier to develop and work with. And I already shot MF with a Mamiya C330. It all made sence until...
I found out you had to remove the ground glass panel to put the roll holder on. Didn't like that at all... The lens problems between formats. Thinking of "why am I going to shoot medium format with my new large format camera..."
I didn't know yet about such film holders as the Calumet roll holder that works just like a regular 4x5 holder...
Then I discovered 4x5 Polaroids.
Result... I've never even loaded the roll holder once but I've shot a whole lot of Polaroids... And I even bought one of those Calumet holders just in case...
A lot of people do shoot 120 in their 4x5's but I just couldn't see the sense of it. Although having a MF camera with a wider selection of lenses is a big factor here...
Polaroid film is more expensive and you have to buy the holder, but I think it's worth it and really helps learn how to use the camera. The whole camera. And you get to see the results right away, and you can even make a
dynamite standard negative (B&W only).

Now, if you really want to do roll film, that's your choice and just fine. The 127mm would be a good single lens compromise as a slightly wide 4x5 and slightly long 6x7 lens. If you can swing a second lens, get an Optar 90mm which go very reasonably. 65 & 75's go for a whole lot more... For the overall cost, I would recommend the Calumet holder over a Graflex model so you don't have to remove the GG panel. Either way you still have to work a dark slide.
I agree that working with standard film & holders is a lot more to work with. But simplify that a bit by not worrying about dust and such. Work up to perfection... There's also quickloads that eliminate the dust problem, but at much higher cost.
So, yes it sounds like your ideas are fine. And my suggestion is to also look into Polaroids as an inbetween to 'real' 4x5, plus the holder can be used for those quickloads later.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Rich's camp. If you feel you must use 120 for testing material, then get a Calumet C2 roll holder. For years they were $150 used. Now you can find them for under $100 on ebay.

I think the better route is to find outdated sheet film. Go to shows, find LF people near you, ask other dealers for it. They don't sell it as cheaply as they used to but B&W film does keep well, and you should never expect a great image the 1st (2nds ore 3rd) time out so if there's a bit of base fog it won't matter. Get on list serves and chat rooms. find people that have this stuff in their basement or such.
Practice loading film holders with ruined film. Practice until you are so confident you can do it with your eyes closed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: