Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my 3x4 project and partial answers to polaroid back question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an update on my 3x4 project. I am modifying the back to fit 4x5 film holders. Essentially I have done three things; I reset the side rails to accommodate the 4x5 holders, I cut a new key slot and removed the end block so that a 4x5 holder will come just to the edge of the back(this puts the new key slot 3/16" from the edge), and I extended the edges of the spring back itself to fit the new slot. Removing the stop block at the end caused some light leak problems and so I have added (for now anyway) a piece of weather strip)

The polaroid 545 backs will fit a standard 4x5 springback, the 405 back however is too thick. You can shim out the springs using longer 4/40 screws, which I did for awhile, but I found that the springs did not hold a standard cut film holder very tightly after I did that. Recently I made the spring extensions shown in the pics. The construction should be fairly obvious from the picture, the spring material was cut from the blade of a spackling trowel (buy the ones that say "flexible blue steel")These extensions work very well on both my 4x5 and on the modified 3x4, they will extend to hold a 405 back yet still keep a standard cutfilm holder tight.

Hope this is useful

Kim Hartshorn

http://faculty.plattsburgh.edu/kim.hartshorn/images/camera.htm
Kim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I think I figured out how to do this

http://faculty.plattsburgh.edu/kim.hartshorn/images/springback_extension.jpg

and a first try after getting rid of some light leaks...there might still be some
http://faculty.plattsburgh.edu/kim.hartshorn/images/flowers_in_front_of_myers.jpg
davidst

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim,
That is really impressive ingenuity! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Todd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: