Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie to Large Format, Developing Check List

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilkidm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a 4x5 pacemaker in the closet for the past couple of years, and I never got around to using real film in it. I am expierenced with B&W processing, mostly with Kodak film. I have the camera and film holders, but I wanted to have an idea on what the basic level of developing supplies I need. So far, I think I need
-Changing bag, just in case my bathroom isn't light tight.
-Developer
-Fixer
-Timer

But I would like to know what kind of tank you all recommend. I would like something that I can load up in the dark, but develop in daylight. How much should I expect to pay for the tank, etc. Thanks for the help.
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the thread on cut film tanks.

You might want to add a stop to your chemical list. I don't think you really need a timer for film. Your watch,kitchen clock or a clock radio all will keep good enough time.

[ This Message was edited by: Nick on 2003-02-24 19:41 ]
Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you should search this site for the full discussion, It boils down to 3.5 options.
There is the

• 1. Yankee agitank. Holds 12 sheets of film, needs about 55 oz of developer. Cannot be inverted. Sells on ebay for $5 to $30
  • 2. HP Combi Plan Tank. Holds 6 sheets needs about 32oz of developer. CAN be inverted.

Because of the restrictions both of these tanks need to be filled with developer before you go dark. Load the film in the basket. Drop it in, close the lid and turn the lights on. The rest can be done in daylight.

• 3.0 Jobo reel tank. These run the film in a spiral much like a roll film tank. If you use every slot with a dilute developer (D76 1:1) you'll end up with dev exhaustion. So use a high energy developer or don't fill every slot.

• 0.5 Nikor sheet reel and tank. Similar to the Jobo but hard to find. The last one on ebay went for $86. Which is why its only 1/2 a choice.

re clock: My best, most accurate, easiest to use was my Triathalon timex.

re: Changing bag. Nah. Better to use towels and duct tape or process at night, particulalry when you have the tank full of liquid. If anyone asks, tell them you're being proactive for the upcoming war.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2003-02-24 20:10 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large or bold kitchen timmer (electronic 1 AAA battery) for those of us that forget when we started if looking at a clock for 12 to 20 minutes.
Photoflex Changing Room if you don't want to wait until dark, 4x5 film holders and a tank in a changing bag can be problematic.
JOBO 2521 with reel $90 but worth every penney. 6 sheets, spiral reel, 1500ml, easy to handle.
Charles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: