Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8x10 Polaroid?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have recent practical experience with 8x10 Polaroids?
If so, I have some questions...

From what I've read, it seems as though the film is not sleeved the same as the 4x5. The 8x10 sleeve is pulled all the way out of the holder and can not be replaced? And the film must stay in the holder until it's placed into the processor? Is this right? Makes it a bit tough to go out, take some shots to bring home for later processing...

Do all the Polaroid processors support a manual crank or only special models?

Am I totally crazy for wanting to field shoot 8x10 Polaroid?

Is there anything not so obvious that I should know about before attempting this?

As usual, thanks!

Rich...
Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have recent practical experience with 8x10 Polaroids?
If so, I have some questions...

I've had some. but not a lot.

From what I've read, it seems as though the film is not sleeved the same as the 4x5.
That's true. The film and the reciever sheet are seperate. The film is placed inside a special film holder, similar to a regualr film holder but it opens like a book. Once the film is in place the paper protector is removed, but the darkslide is inplace to keep if from being ruined.
And the film must stay in the holder until it's placed into the processor?
Well that's the way it was designed. I suppose if you brought alongl a very large changing tent you could change out the film in the holder and process it later on.

Do all the Polaroid processors support a manual crank or only special models?
NO! I haven't kept up on all of the changes with 8x10 polaroid but the processor I used could not be used manual. I could be wrong but I thought Calumet was the first to make a mechanical processor for Polaroid. Maybe later on Polaroid put cranks on their electrics, but if you want field work I'd go with the Calumet. The electric processor I used weighed a good 10 pounds if not more.

Am I totally crazy........ ?
This has been asked and answered before. No need to double-post

Is there anything not so obvious that I should know about before attempting this?

Expect a few 'mishaps' when processing. Things don't go as planned 100% of the time. It's more expensive than you think. Color isn't right on, at least when I was using it, so invest in filters. Finding more than one holder may be difficult.

Les
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-02 09:24, Les wrote:
Am I totally crazy........ ?
This has been asked and answered before. No need to double-post
Les

Thanks (yet again) Les.

There are times I need some reassuance

I was afraid of the holder problem. I suppose changing the film out is an option, but it would apparently have to be replaced into the holder for processing. I can only guess Polaroid never intended 8x10 for field use...
'Spare' holders are available, but they're not cheap... This is a 'problem' I'll have to work around...

I've only heard about cranks & Polaroid processors. Have no idea which models and haven't even come close to figuring out how they did model numbers or names. And there seems to be very little specific info in print.

I do have a Polaroid processor 'on the way'. As usual for me, not a great price but worth it if it works. Calument processors, even though cheaper new, are much more used and very difficult to find. If I ever find one, I'll grab it though.

I doubt any color problems are 8x10 only. I never could get what I considered acceptable color out of Polaroids going all the way back to the late 60's (or so) and my first model 100 (102,110...?) little baby bellows pack camera. But I do love the B&W. What a shame they don't do a type 55 for 8x10...

Also a shame that 8x10 is so costly. But I couldn't do 8x10 without at least trying Polaroid. I may not be able to get my investment back on a box of film, but I should be able to on the processor. Not that I ever sell anything, which my wife reminded me about just the other day when I mentioned that I had to stop by the Post Office again for another money order

I suppose if I want to take this act on the road, I'll have to invest in a couple of large suitcases and a good A/C convertor for the car if I'm not luckey anough to have a crank model... And then just take it for granted that the first box of film wil be for learing and not expect so much. Which is pretty much the state of my photography anyway But it sure is fun and one of the very few ways in this world I get to be 'creatiive'...

Rich...
jdman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why stop at 8x10.. Has anyone read the article about the life size heros of 911, shot using 40x90 inch polaroid at $340 a shot.See American Photo January/February 2002 Page 90-91. Russ
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be just a tiny bit larger than I'd want to throw over my sholder for a quick walk/shot... And, I'd have to buy yet another camera... Hmmm, wait a minute!
jdman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right, esp. with the camera having a 12 foot focal length,and using 12 2400 watt second strobes.One subject had to be redone 4 times because on 3 of the shots, he looked like a deer caught in the Headlights. Russ
JoePhoto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, that print has to be peeled from the negative at about the same rate it went through the rollers.

As for the 8x10, I used to build the processors at Polaroid for a while though not recently. As I recall they all had the gearing for manual use but may not have had the hole poked in the side for the handle. They came in 115 and 220 volt models and even a few hundred for China intended to be used only manually even though there was still a motor in them. I don't remember the date coding but if you give me the serial number it may ring a few bells.
I don't know much about the current state of what's left of the company, or the company that bought what's left or what their customer service is like nowadays.
I found that for the 4x5 and smaller color films all I needed was an orange filter to get better colors.

RichS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info! I had a feeling they were all the same inside. Even with different model numbers in various places, it turns out that apparently they've only ever produced a model 81-12 processor, from the beggining right up until now, even the xray processors...
I hate to say it cause I might be called a 'hoarder' But I have a second prcessor coming now that includes the hand crank. So I'll be able to tell first hand how it works manually. Although probably not very often. Seems like the pro side of Polaroid will be around yet for some time, but not with lower prices on film
If you can match codes with dates, that would be interesting. I'll have to look... Thanks...

Rich...
JoePhoto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, here's someone who's into LARGE format 20x24 Polaroid!!

http://elsa.photo.net/

RichS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-21 17:24, JoePhoto wrote:
In the meantime, here's someone who's into LARGE format 20x24 Polaroid!!

http://elsa.photo.net/

Wow! Now there's a backpacking camera! Wonder how much they cost? And somehow I doubt the film is too affordable either. I do remember reading something about this camera and the operating costs. Way beyond my means, and abilities unfortunately...
Thanks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: