Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help mounting 127mm Ektar.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
photoraggie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I need some beginner help. Have an Anniversary Speed Graphic. Obtained a lens board. Got a 127mm Ektar lens. What unscrews from the back of the lens in order to mount? Do I take off the rear element and then will I be able to get at some retaining ring or what? I am lost. Thanks in advance for any help.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ther are two ways to mount a lens.
The old way was with a flange. A flange looks similar to a retaining ring, except it has a wide flat area with screw holes and is mounted to the front of the WOOD lensboard.

When metal lensboards became popular, the retaining ring became the norm. Occasionally you'll see a flange used backwards in the back, but take a look at the lensboard just behind the shutter, if there's something there, or you see the sharp tips of screws protruding from the back, chances are the lens is mounted with a flange and should just unscrew. I can't think of a situation where they can use a flange and a locating pin.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ther are two ways to mount a lens.
The old way was with a flange. A flange looks similar to a retaining ring, except it has a wide flat area with screw holes and is mounted to the front of the WOOD lensboard.

When metal lensboards became popular, the retaining ring became the norm. Occasionally you'll see a flange used backwards in the back, but take a look at the lensboard just behind the shutter, if there's something there, or you see the sharp tips of screws protruding from the back, chances are the lens is mounted with a flange and should just unscrew. I can't think of a situation where they can use a flange and a locating pin.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear of your lens has outside and inside threads. The rear element is screwed into the inside threads. Don't disturb this. The outside threads should have a retaining ring or flange threaded onto it. You remove the ring or flange...insert the lens into the lens board from the front...and thread the ring or flange onto the rear. Sounds like your lens may not have the ring or flange with it.
photoraggie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! The lens didn't come with a retaining ring. All I have to do is locate a retaining ring and I'll be able to use it. Thank both of you very much for drawing me a mental picture of what the lens should look like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: