Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optar or Xenar?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Not MPP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting to grips with my latest project - a 5x4 Crown Graphic (top RF). Can anyone tell me which is going to be better for colour transparency stock, Optar or Xenar? Both are on bodies from the early 1960's. The Optar has a cam, or would it be worth (if necessary) camming up the Xenar?

All suggestions much appreciated.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off remember that both of these lenses were professional lenses and somebody put theirself or thekid through college with either one of them.

That said,both lines suffered from quality contols. the Xenar shows up on Graphics because it was cheaper than either the optar or Ektar. Whether that was due to the cheap labor in Germany or the quality of the lens is up for debate.

The other factor you have to contend with is both of these lenses are 30+ years old. They have had a life, whether good or bad and that will effect it's performance. A spectacular lens that's not been cared for will not perform better than a lousy lens in mint condition, and this is one factor that all of the lens testing data from the 60s to the stuff published on the web today can't take into account.

The only way to answer the question is to test both lenses and decide for yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: