Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens Flash Settings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twinsix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am a NEWBIE, to say the least, and have lots of questions. I will begin here: I have a Speed Graphic with an Ektar 127 mm lens. This has a setting lever for flash operation, and I am confused over the exact function of each setting. I have a 3-cell Graflite flash with cord. The cord is plugged into the "Shutter" slot, and the bi-pole is attached to the lens. Which setting do I use?? X, F, or M? Presumably "Off" is for non-flash exposures. Thanks in advance!
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming from your description that you want to take flash pics using flashbulbs in your Graflite, you should use the M setting on your shutter. If your lens has a Graphex shutter, then there may be two Ms, red and black. The choice of which M depends upon the color of the shutter speed being used, that is black M with black speeds, and red M with the reds. If the shutter just has one M, then you can use any speed you want. They will all sync.

The choice of which speed you choose depends on how much ambient (existing) light you want to use in the pic. A high speed will leave the background black, using little light other than the flash, while a slower speed will produce more overall detail in the pic surrounding the subject. Hope that helps.

BTW, the X is for electronic flash, and the F was for special flashbulbs you're not likely to encounter.
Twinsix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that helps loads! Thank you! It is a Graphex shutter with only the one M, and yes, I am using flashbulbs. After looking through the helps here, all I knew was that I didn't want the X, but didn't know why, and had no idea about the F setting. Thanks again!

AWT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "F" setting is for "F"ast-peak flash bulbs. I've got a box or two of SF and they are basically an "empty" bulb that is filled with gas and, when activated, a little explosive charge ignites this miniature grenade. They're the size of a #25, but not as bright. They definitely are fast, though.

To compare with some Press 25 bulbs, I fired off a couple the other night before checking their price on flashbulbs.com.

Oooooh, that was an expensive test!
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like Pawprint books offering Graphic graflex Photography books for $175, Bill's asking $17 each, but I bought mine a couple of years ago on ebay for $8 a doz, so don't feel too bad.
AWT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! The boxes of SF bulbs came as part of a large lot of mainly P25's that I got off of 'da Bay' for about 30 cents a bulb. The shipment also had a good number of "color-balanced" P25C's and some #11's and #22's in there, as well.

Now, if Bill Cress wants to make me an offer....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: