Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-Graflite 2773
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cavphotog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see on the product list that there was a Graflex flash introduced in 1938. Was this identical to the Heiland ?

Will the Heiland synchronizer trip the rimset Compur shutter ? The release lever has such a long "throw" to it that the Graflex unit won't trip the shutter.

Did the mounting system that is commonly associated with the 2773 exist prior to 1948, i.e, with a bracket mounted to the camera body, rather than hanging the whole rig on the rangefinder housing ? I have a Heiland Research bracket that mounts to the body but I have never seen any of the tube clamps that would mate with it. Looks like the bottom clip would go into an angled slot on the bracket, then the whole swung forward until the top unit engaged a spring clip.

[ This Message was edited by: cavphotog on 2003-01-13 19:34 ]
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say about the rim set compur. the compur I have has an Abbey tripper on it and it works, the cocking has a long throw but the shutter release doesn't.

the Pre-graflite flash is called simply the Graflex Flash unit and is the product of much debate as it was used in that movie with D a r t h and the rest of the gang. It is not a Heiland clone. Check on ebay for Graflex flash or lite saybur (just spell it right, we can't here or you'll get this: light ***** )

The Graflex flash hung off of the black Kalart rangefinder but had an encircling bracket on Annys that used either the F model Kalart rangefinder or the A model which is bright.

The encircling bracket you have fits the quick release mounted Heiland. There is/was an auction that had two flashes on one camera but for some reason he killed the auction so look fast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=1950489237
jdman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Compur with a #31`lens set up to trip with what I think is the Heiland solenoid, it takes a female plug to power it up. The trick is to take some of the backlash out of the tripper, and adjust the lens so that the shutter just barely does not trip. One thing I do have to do is take the bail off the tripper when using T or B as you need more throw to do these things. If you want to mount the clamps on something than the rangefinder, and you have a pacemaker, them remove the strap and they will snap right in. Clamps are on e-bay all the time. Russ
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacific Rim Camera has a lot of the clamps too. Look in the Flash - Misc. Flash Equip. section.

http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-01-14 06:48 ]
vic valis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in knowing when the Heiland surround bracket would have been used, as my Heiland uses this same system. I currently have the Heiland Synchronar and two brackets, the Heiland 73 and 76 (at least this is that the brackets are marked). None of the cameras I'm restoring are post-wwii, and wonder if any of these parts would be appropriate to this cut-off date I've set. I'm currently awaiting delivery on an earlier Heiland flash (at least the really cool art deco box looked earlier, I bought it as much for the box and accessories as for the flash itsel) that appeared in the photographs to have a Graflex-style surround clamp. When it comes, no doubt I'll be back with more questions.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
vic valis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was talking about it earlier, and it arrived the same day: my Heilanf Sol Flash Synchronizer Model S (according to the box. Looks like the illustration on the box, attached to a Pre-Anniversary in the picture by some sort of clamp that is present on the actual flash, but seems to be missing something. Would anyone know offhand if the Heiland flash is the same thickness as the classic Graflex? If so, I may buy a reproduction Graflex clamp from one of the S--- W--- sites and attach it to the Kalart rangefinder of my pre-ann.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
cavphotog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic - try the Pacific Rim link above. I think those repros are just metalized plastic.
vic valis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check it out. Some of the repros are advertized as all metal reproductions down to the method of chroming the surfaces, et all. But if I can find the real thing, I will go for it. I finally got off may lazy ass and tested my two Heilands (at least with the solenoids). The newer one seems to work, the older does not trip it. I'd like to try and repair it; anyone know where I mauy be able to find info? Rather than start taking it apart blind, a source of plans or detailed info would be greatly appreciated.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
MR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot use the old Graflex rail clamp with the flip-up lever on a Heiland. Those old 37FA flashes are three pieces. The top and bottom shell bayonet into the clamp, so a longer tube could not pass through the clamp without being stopped by the male pieces on the inside of the clamp. You could dremel them off I suppose.

A repro MPP clamp, the British equivalent to a Heiland, might do the job though.
MR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to a guy who makes repro Graflex clamps for light saybur props and he assured me that they are made from steel and are quite durable.

[ This Message was edited by: MR on 2003-01-15 09:11 ]
vic valis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a deep breath, it's another one of my long, rambling questions... The clamp currently on my Heiland looks like it was designed to slide into something (rather than the Graflex clamp that looks like it clamps around the plate on the Kalart rangefinder) but the spring-loaded lock looks to have the end broken off (I'm guessing the end clipped into a hole on the camera bracket to keep the flash in place). I will look for the MPP clamp, since I'd hate to start screwing with even a repro Graflex clamp. Question: in looking at the Heiland very carefully, I see nothing keeping the innards inside except for the fireing button. This Heiland Sol flash has only that button and the HH ports (all unmarked), with one scre through the bakelite button mount. I still want to try and repair this flash, and assume that removing this screw wil allor me to ease out the workings, as I see nothing inside the body of the flash keeping it there. Any ideas what I might face in terms of springs shooting out if I do this? Also, I have not ben to the Cress flashbulb site in a while. Will try next time I go to work. Might they have any info about repairs? I recollect that clicking on their flashgun link only briught be back to Graflex.org. Wow, that's a mouthful! Thanks.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
MR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what you mean. Is the Heiland clamp a greenish/grayish plastic thing with a metal band that goes around the battery case?
vic valis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, in this case the clamp is chromed metal that wraps around the battery housing, fairly heavy, with the word "SOL" in a sun sybbol and the Heiland research corp address stamped on it. There is brassing on the inside surfaces where it would have slid into whatever it slides into, and the sprung part I mentioned does nothing but go up and down when I press on it... I thought it might have increased/decreased tension, but I was wrong. It looks sort of like a deformed wing-nut, it rotates around the screw that tightens the bracket to the housing, only with one wing missing and that end looking like something has come off (uneven surface). Sounds familiar to anyone?

jeff

It said "good-bye."
MR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I've seen those. Very strange looking.
vic valis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They actually look pretty normal... a little TOO normal if you ask me! It works on the opposite principal of the Graflex clamp, which grabs hold of the Kalart top. This one grabs hold of it from the inside, and I guess the missing part of the wing-nut things keps the flash in place. Actually looks pretty handy... if it's intact.

jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: