Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedgub Series D...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic valis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought one the other day; black plastic of high-impact rubber-type material. Looks really cool, got it cheap, my question is: does anyone know anything about it? Couldn't find anything on the internet. It has a single-pin type sync cord. Anyone know if there is an adapter for use with a bipost-type connection? Or anything at all? I'm stumped here.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "single pin", do you mean a pc connector? And what is on the flashgun end of the cord? Is it hard-wired or does it plug in? Paramount cords, paramountcords.com, can make an adapter cord..or you can replace the whole cord. Adapters are hard to find. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear "Virgil Starkwell"

You've got the concept all wrong, but then I should have expected that from a guy that played the bass fiddle in the marching band.

The series D isn't a single pin, but uses two pins spaced apart. Looking at the name plate you can see at the lower edge the numbers 1 through 4.

Turning the Gub or Nug upside down you can see the holes. The original cord used two of these holes, the end of the cord were pins, much like the probe ends of a test meter at Radio Shack. the web of the cord was seperated so you could have as much as an inch between the pins.

If you are old enough to remember WWII or hung around people who were, the original radio head phones used these same two small pin arrangement before RCA came up with the phone jack.
Changing holes changed the function, but right now,I'd have to get out an ohm meter to figure out if you needed 1-2 for normal and 3-4 was an extension or some other configuration.

On the back, on each side of the open flash button are holes 5 and 6. I'm pretty sure they took the place of the open flash button, so you could fire the Gub remotely.

Now promise me you won't take this into any bank!

Les
vic valis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I turn it over and there they are... I saw the numbers on the plate but couldn't figure out what they were for. I was going to describe the pin in even older term: as the pin connectors used to connect old telephones to wood ringer boxes. I should start restoring more modern stuff. With this specific flash, I have about a 7 inch pan with a bayonette type fixture in the center, from which comes a rubberized pin connector; is sounds like from the camera a sync cord with two pin connectors are connected to, say, holes 1 & 2, and for the option of using smaller bulbs you would plug the cord into either 3 or 4 (or some like combination). Was the pin connector arrangement in use after WWII? The very simple construction makes it look like the flash was for an amature or serious amature market. The body itself does not feel like bakelite, more like a modern rubber or plastic.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: