Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown #1 Tripod??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a story and a question. Laugh at me, or just the story

For over a year I have seen Crown #1 Tripods go for auction. They looked big and were very pretty to look at, and wood and brass and old and Graflex. I could resist no longer when one came up with a very reasonable 'buy now' price and I grabbed it.
Now, for all this time, I somehow associated the Crown #1 with the Crown View camera. Both about the same age, wood, company, and from the pictures, size. The tripod looked huge...
Well, I now have a Crown #1 Tripod in my posession. Or possibly a toy dealer-demo tiny version of it? And tiny it is too... Not more than about 14 inches long collapsed. Sure, 6 feet high fully extended, but thin and wobbly and certainly not useable for a 4x5.
But still very pretty And I go back to look at those pictures and wonder if what I got is what they were all selling? It still looks huge in the pics.... When I explained all this to my wife, she certainly got a good laugh out of it... And so did I. It's pretty enough to keep and be happy with, although now I'm considering using it as a planter holder instead of a tripod...
Now a minor question. Considering the name "Crown", what camera was this made for? Did Graflex have a 35mm 'Crown' back in 1900? Or was this made as a traveling tripod and maybe it was just a bit tighter when new?
Curious, but still happy...

Rich...
Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the Crown Tripod production ran from Pre-1904 through the 1950s Ken Hough has a very late version--painted grey.

The #1 really only goes to 4 1/3 feet when extended. The #3 and #4 goes to 5.5 feet. They do look spindley compared to a Linhof or Foba, but as long as you aren't trying to photograph something in a good wind, they do work. And if you do any travelling that Bogen 3050 will start to weigh heavily on your plans very quickly.

they are slow to put up and slow to take down and are fragile when bent the wrong way, but I use a #4 with my Cirkut camera and it's a 6x8 view.

I use a slightly different version, called a Professional tripod, that is still wood but a bit beefier for my 5x7 and 6x8 when not on the Cirkut.
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize they were made for so long. I have no doubt it was a bit steadier when new, but I sure wouldn't use it for the GVII. Maybe a Speed, but only if I had to...
Overall, it's a really nice, small, portable tripod. Just not exactly what I thought it was going to be. As soon as I make a screw for the top (only thing missing), I'll give it a try just to see how it actually works. It does give that 'better be careful' feeling though... Too bad there's no way to date them...
I do have another old wood tripod that may be a Graflex that I like to use. It has a big, square, tilting platform that comes in handy. And I am still searching for that one that will be my favorite... Unfortunately, not a Bogen... Although it would be a worthwhile investment...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: