Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First time user and a few questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenisP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd share a few thoughts and perhaps ask a question or two...
I've got my first Speed Graphic (Pacemaker 2x3, SN: 449420) with Ektar 101 (SN: EO 5948) and a "Graphic 23" roll back a few days ago, and yesterday I shot a first B&W roll. I used the rangefinder for focusing with the roll back on. The RF seems to be calibrated OK, only it's very difficult to see the secondary image. The film came out more or less OK, maybe with couple of shots slightly underexposed. I used the lens shutter, so maybe I miscalculated a bit - it has different shutter speeds than my Nikon F80 which I used for metering

Now for the questions:
The roll back insert seems to be somewhat loose in its housing - I've noticed that the light-blocking grooves (or whatever they're called) on the insert-housing interlocking part do not have any light baffle material inside. Is it supposed to be so, or do I have to put new light baffle material in there?

Also, my SG has side-mounted Kalart RF, but the RF eyepiece does not have that tubular "thingy" that extends all the way back, flush with camera back. I find it rather clumsy trying to squint through the RF eyepiece, and bumped my head several times on the camera housing trying to use my left (better) eye for focusing. Anyway, I can't use the right eye anyway - my nose gets in the way! ))
Came darn near close to poking my eye out once! The eyepiece doesn't have any grooves on it, and I don't know if this piece is supposed to go there - I didn't get it with the camera.
Since I'll probably be mostly using the RF for focusing, I'd like to know if the eyepiece extension can be found somewhere, or whether I could make something myself - a makeshift tube of some kind perhaps? Adapting a slide viewer also comes to mind - putting the lens into some kind of makeshift tube and attaching it to the eyepiece somehow...

In short, I like my little Speed! Taking photos with it may be fussier than when using my old Flexaret TLR, but it's a lot of FUN! Seems like I'm hooked for good!!!

Regards,
Denis
alecj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-24 01:20, DenisP wrote:
I thought I'd share a few thoughts and perhaps ask a question or two...
I've got my first Speed Graphic (Pacemaker 2x3, SN: 449420) with Ektar 101 (SN: EO 5948) and a "Graphic 23" roll back a few days ago, and yesterday I shot a first B&W roll. I used the rangefinder for focusing with the roll back on. The RF seems to be calibrated OK, only it's very difficult to see the secondary image. The film came out more or less OK, maybe with couple of shots slightly underexposed. I used the lens shutter, so maybe I miscalculated a bit - it has different shutter speeds than my Nikon F80 which I used for metering

Now for the questions:
The roll back insert seems to be somewhat loose in its housing - I've noticed that the light-blocking grooves (or whatever they're called) on the insert-housing interlocking part do not have any light baffle material inside. Is it supposed to be so, or do I have to put new light baffle material in there?

No baffle material there. But, the parts should fit tight together, and the back should fit tight against the camera. Tighten up all screws you can find.

Also, my SG has side-mounted Kalart RF, but the RF eyepiece does not have that tubular "thingy" that extends all the way back, flush with camera back. I find it rather clumsy trying to squint through the RF eyepiece, and bumped my head several times on the camera housing trying to use my left (better) eye for focusing. Anyway, I can't use the right eye anyway - my nose gets in the way! ))
Came darn near close to poking my eye out once! The eyepiece doesn't have any grooves on it, and I don't know if this piece is supposed to go there - I didn't get it with the camera.
Since I'll probably be mostly using the RF for focusing, I'd like to know if the eyepiece extension can be found somewhere, or whether I could make something myself - a makeshift tube of some kind perhaps? Adapting a slide viewer also comes to mind - putting the lens into some kind of makeshift tube and attaching it to the eyepiece somehow...

That "thingy" is called a focuscope and, yes, it is very handy. There are two kinds - one is collapsable [it telescopes into itself - that's the one you want] and one isn't. The rigid one is worse than nothing because it can poke your eye if your camera is jolted. The rangefinder eyepiece has internal threads to accept the focuscope. Just look around. They are not rare [yet].

In short, I like my little Speed! Taking photos with it may be fussier than when using my old Flexaret TLR, but it's a lot of FUN! Seems like I'm hooked for good!!!

Ah, another one hooked!!!!!!!
Regards,
Denis
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply learned to look into my rangefinders from a distance, set the focus on the small segment of the scene and go back to the sports of optical viewfinders to compose. So... if the image is too faint then the beam splitting mirror is too far gone and needs to be replaced. Copy the rangefinder manuals found elsewhere on this site and repair it.
The supply source....
http://www.scientificsonline.com/EC/Products/Display.cfm?categoryid=192841
item #CR3043359 (50% reflect 50% transmit)

Cut with regular glas cutter and streight edge or square.

Charles

clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this, Charles. I've ordered me a piece of 50/50....tired of faint images in my Kalart with the occasional out-of-focus shot because of it. Fred.
35mmto4x5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have found a Speed Graphic 4x5 (based upon the film holders' size) cleaning out an attic. It has a side-mounted rangefinder and there is no significant corrosion. Embarrassing, but it is not obvius to me how to open it.
Baker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-28 18:45, 35mmto4x5 wrote:
Embarrassing, but it is not obvius to me how to open it.

There's a byutton hidden under the leather near the front either in the middle of the top edge, or int the upper corner on the left side (the side the handle's on). It'll be a little bump that you push on, and it'll pop right open.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: