Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rangefinder (half-)mirror replacement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenisP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally got my Pacemaker SG (2x3) a few days ago. I'm still playing around with it, getting to know the controls. So far everything seems to work OK - but the Kalart rangefinder (side-mounted). It *is* calibrated OK, only I can barely see the secondary image. I've opened the housing (following the procedure found elsewhere on this Helpboard), and cleaned the glass surfaces a bit. However, it didn't help. The upper piece of glass (half-mirror?) is completely transparent. If I understood others correctly, it seems that this piece of glass should be reflective - which in my case isn't so. I've found references from Ed Romney's article to Edmunds, where such glass can be obtained. However, living in Croatia, phoning the number supplied is a bit of a problem The phone call itself would probably cost more than a *very large sheet* of such glass. So, I wanted to ask you good souls out there if anyone has a small piece of this glass that could be used as a replacement. Or, perhaps a source where such glass/half-mirror can be ordered *online* (by e-mail, etc., not requiring expenive phone calls)?

Thanks in advance!

PS: this board is an invaluable source of info - it got me started with my Speed Graphic within a few hours

Regards,

Denis
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-22 04:56, DenisP wrote:
I've finally got my Pacemaker SG (2x3) a few days ago. I'm still playing around with it, getting to know the controls. So far everything seems to work OK - but the Kalart rangefinder (side-mounted). It *is* calibrated OK, only I can barely see the secondary image. I've opened the housing (following the procedure found elsewhere on this Helpboard), and cleaned the glass surfaces a bit. However, it didn't help. The upper piece of glass (half-mirror?) is completely transparent. If I understood others correctly, it seems that this piece of glass should be reflective - which in my case isn't so. I've found references from Ed Romney's article to Edmunds, where such glass can be obtained. However, living in Croatia, phoning the number supplied is a bit of a problem The phone call itself would probably cost more than a *very large sheet* of such glass. So, I wanted to ask you good souls out there if anyone has a small piece of this glass that could be used as a replacement. Or, perhaps a source where such glass/half-mirror can be ordered *online* (by e-mail, etc., not requiring expenive phone calls)?

Thanks in advance!

PS: this board is an invaluable source of info - it got me started with my Speed Graphic within a few hours

Regards,

Denis
http://www.edmundoptics.com/index.cfm
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.scientificsonline.com/EC/Products/Display.cfm?categoryid=192841
item #CR3043359 (50% reflect 50% transmit)

Cut with regular glas cutter and streight edge or square.

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-11-22 18:43 ]
DenisP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, guys!
The "www.scientificsonline.com" link works, and I think I'll be able to order from there!

Thanks again and regards,

Denis
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 50% beam splitter, it works nicely! Bert
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my piece of the 50/50 beam splitter from Edmund. It's only 1mm thick...only about half as thick as the original. Rather than get myself into trouble attempting to mount perfectly the thinner material, I cleaned the existing mirror which has lost most of its reflectivity...cut a piece of the new material to fit...and super-glued it to the existing mirror, just a tiny drop applied with a toothpick top and bottom. A "Moose Miller" repair to be sure, but it works, and required only a minor adjustment of the eccentric to calibrate it. How did you guys repair yours with the thinner material? Fred.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have in all cases replaced the entire mirror...used clear silicone to attach at rearmost position, and thin brass (bent on centerline)to form a holding spring, then filled in the front with silicone on a toothpick! Very strong, and very bright!
Bert
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what seems to be the umpteenth time...thanks again, Bert. Will re-lick the calf. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: