Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

operation with 120 film roll back on Graflex

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnadeau

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am presently considering getting a Graflex for 120 film use. I am new to the graflex but really like th camera from what I have seen so far. would make photography fun. my question is....what is the operation of taking pics using a 120 roll film back on a camera with the graflok back? can the back viewing glass be used? I would not likely use the rangefinder often. I was considering a century. however, is it possible to use a 4x5 format camera that has the graflok back and fit it with a 120 film back for more affordable shooting? I am just researching the graflex. I love to shoot landscapes, flowers, macro. any help would be great. I looked for an online manual for the graflex to answer these questions but could not find one.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep things straight, we refer to the press type camera as a Graphic, while the bigger, bulkier SLR as a Graflex. Yeah I know there are lots of things named Graflex and it's confusing even for an old timer like me, but that's what the convention is now.

You can use a 120 roll back on a Graphic camera but you'd have to use a tripod.

The operation would be much like this.
Open the lens, focus and compose the image, close the lens, remove the ground glass, look for someplace to put it, knowing from experience not to put in in your hip pocket. Not finding it you put in on the ground under the tripod, then you pick up the roll back and place in on the camera, pull the dark slide and trip the shutter.

Advancing the roll back and moving for the next shot you accidently step on the ground glass.

With a 2x3 Century you either use the rangefinder or you find a safe place for the ground glass.

with the 4x5 I would suggest buying a Calumet C2 or C2N roll back. These use 120 or 220- film, take 6x7cm sized shots and slip in under the ground glass, so there's no need to remove it.

Adapt-a-roll is another possibility for the 2x3 but you'd need 620 film spools as that's what it takes. (620 and 120 share the same film size, but the 620 used a smaller hole in the end.)

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-28 20:29, Les wrote:
Just to keep things straight, we refer to the press type camera as a Graphic, while the bigger, bulkier SLR as a Graflex. Yeah I know there are lots of things named Graflex and it's confusing even for an old timer like me, but that's what the convention is now.

You can use a 120 roll back on a Graphic camera but you'd have to use a tripod.

The operation would be much like this.
Open the lens, focus and compose the image, close the lens, remove the ground glass, look for someplace to put it, knowing from experience not to put in in your hip pocket. Not finding it you put in on the ground under the tripod, then you pick up the roll back and place in on the camera, pull the dark slide and trip the shutter.

Advancing the roll back and moving for the next shot you accidently step on the ground glass.

With a 2x3 Century you either use the rangefinder or you find a safe place for the ground glass.

with the 4x5 I would suggest buying a Calumet C2 or C2N roll back. These use 120 or 220- film, take 6x7cm sized shots and slip in under the ground glass, so there's no need to remove it.

Adapt-a-roll is another possibility for the 2x3 but you'd need 620 film spools as that's what it takes. (620 and 120 share the same film size, but the 620 used a smaller hole in the end.)

Les, PMFJI. Isn't it possible to use a roll back with range-finder on all sizes of Graphic (but the 5x7)? I mean, there are masks for the tubular viewfinders ... Your're absolutely right that this won't work well for close-up or anything that requires precise framing. Also, Adapt-A-Rolls were made for 2x3, 3x4, and 4x5 press cameras.

Cheers,

Dan
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! sorry if I confused some people out there, I was trying to convey the idea that Calumet doesn't make a C2 for anything but the 4x5.

PMFJI ???? Sorry haven't heard that one

jnadeau

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if I understand this correctly...I could use a graflex speed, crown, etc (which had a graflok back)and use a 120 roll film unit on the back. but first I would compose the picture on the ground glass, then remove the glass, install the roll film unit, take a picture, and start again for the next pic. what prevents the roll film unit from exposing the film when it is not on the camera? I am totally new to this so bear with me. if this is the case it would be just what I am looking for. I would consider a 4x5 or larger format but have not yet found a place for developing this type of film. does anyone have an online manual for these Graflex cameras (speed, crown, etc)?
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me take a try at this. First, the question is whether you intend to use the camera as a view camera, with a tripod, or as a press camera just handholding it. If the former, then you have pretty well described it - put on tripod, open lens, compose, remove ground glass back, install roll film back [rfb], expose. The rfb has a dark slide, like a sheet film holder, so it can be attached, or removed w/o exposing the film.

On the other hand, if you want to handhold the camera, then you can just leave the rfb on all the time, compose the shot with either the sportsfinder [pull-up wire finder] or the optical finder on the top of the camera, focus using either the scale on the bed [after estimating the distance] or use the rangefinder.

If your goal is just to use the rfb, then get a Century or small Graphic. You gain virtually nothing by using a larger format, except possibly range of lens board movement. However, normally with the large camera comes a longer lens, which then restricts your composition when using the rfb.

Life is a compromise. Manuals are available from a number of sources. Depending on where you are, there may be labs nearby to develop the film. What do you intend to shoot - B&W or color?
jnadeau

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which film type? depends on my mood. at times I love b&w, but then sometimes color. I do not take indoor pics. just love nature...flowers, landscapes, etc.
I hear that these old cameras take wonderful pics, especially when they are coupled with todays films.
I have always had an interest in photographing with this type of camera. I have only used a 35mm but am just getting a little bored with it.
I was really considering the Century but just thought that if I could also get a 4x5, then someday, (if I find a developer on make a darkroom) I would experiment with the 4x5 rather that shoot only with the 120 film. If using the larger camera has more headaches with it I will just consider a century or crown or speed in the 2 1/4- 3 1/4 format.
jnadeau

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops I forgot.....mostly tripod mounted.
how does the rangefinder work? I assume you have to be a very good judge of distance.
by the way..thanks for the help.

anyone know of any other good resources on the graflex camera?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-29 08:55, Les wrote:
Sure! sorry if I confused some people out there, I was trying to convey the idea that Calumet doesn't make a C2 for anything but the 4x5.

PMFJI ???? Sorry haven't heard that one

Pardon Me For Jumping In

Cheers,

Dan
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-29 11:23, jnadeau wrote:
oops I forgot.....mostly tripod mounted.
how does the rangefinder work? I assume you have to be a very good judge of distance.

Go to the home page of this site, click on Technical Information, then click on Adjusting Your Kalart Rangefinder and read EVERYTHING there, then in that text block click on the blue text "online version of the Kalart adjustment manual". All your concerns should be addressed or answered there.
Charles

Frost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there are a lot of labs that will do color or B&W developing and printing. Some will only do developing and others can print. Nice thing about roll film backs is that you can load one with B&W and one with Color negative, another with Color transparency.. etc.. get the idea?? Take a picture of a flower with 3 or more differnt film types, and never have to completely use up any one of them. The dark slide just keeps everything nice and neat.

There are RH-10 film backs for the 4X5 format, and they work very well. You can also use a Polaroid 545 back with the 4X5 and the Polaroid 405 pack film back witht he 4X5 camera. Can't use those with the 2X3 century.

Sheet film photography with the 4X5 is pretty slick! You can load B&W and develop your own, and if you want contact print and you have a 4X5 picture. If you have the right kind of scanner you can scan a 4X5 negative, either in B&W, Negative, or Transparency and print it out using a good quality ink jet printer and probably will notice very little difference between the Printed picutre and the Lab enlarged picture.. in my opinion.

Vernon

Cheers!
aka vljenewein
Vernon Jenewein
jenefarm@direcway.com
Burtscher Eric

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardonez mon ignorance de la langues anglaise, je suis à la recherche d'un dos pour une Century Graphic, quelqu'un peut il me renseigner s'il existe des revendeurs Graflex en France.

Pardonez my ignorance of languages English, I am in search of a back for Century Graphic, somebody can it(him) inform me if it(he) exists retailer Graflex in France.

Eric. (traduis par une machine)

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-24 15:17, Burtscher Eric wrote:
Pardonez mon ignorance de la langues anglaise, je suis à la recherche d'un dos pour une Century Graphic, quelqu'un peut il me renseigner s'il existe des revendeurs Graflex en France.

Pardonez my ignorance of languages English, I am in search of a back for Century Graphic, somebody can it(him) inform me if it(he) exists retailer Graflex in France.

Eric. (traduis par une machine)

peut-etre http://www.lemoyenformat.com/MGWEBOCC.htm a un dos pour vous.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If using the larger camera has more headaches with it I will just consider a century or crown or speed in the 2 1/4- 3 1/4 format.

Sorry I missed this aspect of the consrens, the number of headaches and their size are related to the number of times you hit yourself in the head with one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: