Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex Graphic Photography book?? editions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frost

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good friend of mine has suggested that I look for the Graflex Graphic Photography book 10th edition. Kind of difficult to find. I searched Barnes&Nobel and found a copy in the used book section, but because it was signed by the author, it was a bit pricy. What is a going price for one of these 10th editions..not for collecting, but for reading. *S*

New question: After film has gone past it's "use before" date, what changes take place? in other words, does it shift colors, become redder, more magenta, yellow, or just flatten out in color? I know refrigeration helps, which my outdated film IS refrigerated, but didn't Kodak take this in to account with it's 120 Professional roll film when it put the date on there?

Cheers!
aka vljenewein
Vernon Jenewein
jenefarm@direcway.com

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-17 04:49, Frost wrote:
A very good friend of mine has suggested that I look for the Graflex Graphic Photography book 10th edition. Kind of difficult to find. I searched Barnes&Nobel and found a copy in the used book section, but because it was signed by the author, it was a bit pricy. What is a going price for one of these 10th editions..not for collecting, but for reading. *S*

New question: After film has gone past it's "use before" date, what changes take place? in other words, does it shift colors, become redder, more magenta, yellow, or just flatten out in color? I know refrigeration helps, which my outdated film IS refrigerated, but didn't Kodak take this in to account with it's 120 Professional roll film when it put the date on there?

Re the book, there are other web-based search engines for books. Don't have the URLs here at home, will try to post some tomorrow from the office.

Re the film, strongly suggest you ask it rather than us, especially since we have no idea what film you have. FWIW, I filled the freezer with S8 K-40 over ten years ago and still shoot a little. Still good. Faster films are more vulnerable to fogging by (no kidding) cosmic radiation when frozen.

Cheers,

Dan
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $29 for my tenth edition at a camera show some years ago, and was happy then to get it at that price. I've since seen at least one copy of the tenth going for even less. You might try http://www.photobooksonline.com for another source.

I bought some outdated Kodak Gold 100 in 120 and keep it refrigerated. Since I now do all my work on the computer, color shift is not as big a deal for me. Also, I find that you can scan the Gold 100 as b/w and the results are practically as good as with chromogenic b/w.
Frost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found and won a 10th edition on ebay tonight. WOW! I put in a pretty good proxy bid and won the auction at $61.00 I bid on another one, a while back and missed it, as it went for over $50.00

I've taken some pictures today with that Vericolor 160 and at an exposure of ASA 100. Will see if I've overdone it too much. Of the film I've exposed and had printed, I haven't noticed any color shift, or fogging. Just low contrast when I underexposed it a bit.

Cheers!
aka vljenewein
Vernon Jenewein
jenefarm@direcway.com
AWT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, great goin' Vern, thanks! You beat me out by ONE *bleepin'* Dollar!!! Arrggghhh.

...And that was after I patiently watched that book for a week thinking, 'oh boy, oh boy, THIS time I'm gonna get it!!'

Sheesh, I hate wEPAY!

Do I dare say that there's another copy up for grabs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=802917753&rd=1

jpmose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that the 10th edition also has a supplement, which introduces the top mount rangefinder on the Pacemaker 45's, along with other new items in 1955. I think it is around 20 pages.
Frost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWT: I know how it goes trying to get something and watching it all week. It only shows a dollar on ebay, but the actual proxy was $93.00. I saw the new listing for the 1954 edition... watch... It will probably go for 34.00 and you will get it! *S*

I was watching a Koni Omega for 5 days and waited to the end and when I put in my bid nothing happened. Our satellite had too much cloud interference and we lost connection to the internet just before the moment of bidding. I had refreshed a few times and watched the minutes tick down, and never thought a thing about it.
I took some pictures yesterday with that film in question and purposely overexposed it a bit to check for color saturation and contrast. If the color has shifted it is harder to detect with a thin negative that doesn't print with good contrast and muddy colors. I may have gone too far as 1/2 of it was exposed at ASA 100 and the last half at ASA 80. When, in reality, I think I've been told that ASA 125 would probably be about right for 160 speed film.

Cheers!
aka vljenewein
Vernon Jenewein
jenefarm@direcway.com

rsdean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On book searches you might also try:

http://www.abebooks.com

I haven't checked for Graphic Graflex Photography lately, as I already have an earlier which matches my camera, but last time I checked there were quite a few copies *******. Prices were all over the map, though, as I recall...

Rob Dean

(Cameras may be new, but I've spent a *lot* of time looking for books...)
km

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like I got lucky when I got an eleventh edition for $25 on ebay in september.
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank you for the abebooks link. I've been waiting for months to find a 9th (1952) edition. Missed one a few months ago... Went to abebooks and found one in VG condition for 35.00. They had editions from the 1st to the 11th and prices from 25 to 150. And no worries about being outbid
AWT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And then sometimes I get lucky )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4685&item=1940432244&rd=1

PS: It's a 10th edition!

AWT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I had to blink several times to be sure I was reading the Buy-It-Now price correctly. I bought it before I ever knew which edition it was. (I didn't want to again catch 'if-ya-snooze-ya-lose-itis'.) I saw the color photos in the pages represented and thought 'Heck, it can't be THAT old! I can always RE-sell if I don't like it....'

vljenewein

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good going!! Glad you got the book!!! I hate it when I bid and win something like this. I know how frustrating it is to wait and not get it in the final seconds. Looks like a VERY good copy too!!
Vern
jenefarm@direcway.com

Vernon Jenewein
jenefarm@direcway.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: