Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

135 WF Ektar?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Springback

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still hunting for a lens for my Crown Graphic. I've narrowed my search to Ektars as I've found the luminized coating and the supermatic shutters are pretty highly regarded by many photographers. Any of the lenses from the 127 to the 203 would probably fill the bill, but I haven't heard much about the 135 Wide Field and was wondering why---is it a good lens or is there something dreadfully wrong with it so nobody talks about them? I use a 250 WF on my 8x10 which I believe is just a big brother to the 135WF and its a fine lens. Do any of you esteemed experts have an opinion on the suitability of the 135 WF? Is it worth looking for or should I concentrate on finding a 127 or 203 instead?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-14 22:11, Springback wrote:
I'm still hunting for a lens for my Crown Graphic. I've narrowed my search to Ektars as I've found the luminized coating and the supermatic shutters are pretty highly regarded by many photographers. Any of the lenses from the 127 to the 203 would probably fill the bill, but I haven't heard much about the 135 Wide Field and was wondering why---is it a good lens or is there something dreadfully wrong with it so nobody talks about them? I use a 250 WF on my 8x10 which I believe is just a big brother to the 135WF and its a fine lens. Do any of you esteemed experts have an opinion on the suitability of the 135 WF? Is it worth looking for or should I concentrate on finding a 127 or 203 instead?
Surely the focal length you want depends on what you want to do. There's little difference between 127 and 135, both are short normal (or long w/a) lenses on 4x5. 203 is 1/3 longer than normal for 4x5. And all of the lenses you mentioned are supposed to be better than just 'ok.'
Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is, the 135 WF is too slow to hand hold and it's greatest benefit--large movements- is lost on the Graphic line. It's better suited to a view camera, just like it's big brother the 10'WF. The performance should be similarly spectacular.

Now, unlike the 10"WF the 135 has lots of competition, many of which equal and surpass the movements at a larger speed. The Symmar S, Nikkor Ws and Fuji lenses are all in abundance and very good too. I would say the same thing about the 80mm WF on a 2x3--good lens, just swamped by the competition.
Jonathan Bundick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

I have to disagree that the movements of a 135mm WF Ektar are lost on the Graphics line. On the Crown maybe to some extent, but I still would like to have one. Great resolution, large image circle, and small and light. It would give me the ability to use "all" the available movements on my Super. Something I can't do with my current Wollensack 90mm, and my 162mm, looses some definition if I press it to the limits of the camera.

Movements aren't everything, and the lens is great. If you need movements, then the 127mm Ektar is out. You will get none, but the lens is very sharp when stoped down. If you need movements for what you want then the 135mm and 203mm are your choices, and then you have to pick a focal length.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-15 10:07, Jonathan Bundick wrote:
Les,

I have to disagree that the movements of a 135mm WF Ektar are lost on the Graphics line. On the Crown maybe to some extent, but I still would like to have one. Great resolution, large image circle, and small and light. It would give me the ability to use "all" the available movements on my Super. Something I can't do with my current Wollensack 90mm, and my 162mm, looses some definition if I press it to the limits of the camera.

Movements aren't everything, and the lens is great. If you need movements, then the 127mm Ektar is out. You will get none, but the lens is very sharp when stoped down. If you need movements for what you want then the 135mm and 203mm are your choices, and then you have to pick a focal length.
Yes, but Les' point about not ignoring modern lenses is good. No reason why we MUST use old lenses on old press cameras, newer ones are usable and sometimes better. Not always as inexpensive, but as always there are tradeoffs. I'm in the process of deciding whether to pay the price of having a mystery 65/8 that looks sort of like an SA (it is NOT an SA!) or soldier on with my 65/6.8 Raptar. Both work on 2x3.

Cheers,

Dan
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-15 15:35, Dan Fromm wrote:
Quote:

On 2002-11-15 10:07, Jonathan Bundick wrote:
Les,

Yes, but Les' point about not ignoring modern lenses is good. No reason why we MUST use old lenses on old press cameras, newer ones are usable and sometimes better. Not always as inexpensive, but as always there are tradeoffs. I'm in the process of deciding whether to pay the price of having a mystery 65/8 that looks sort of like an SA (it is NOT an SA!) or soldier on with my 65/6.8 Raptar. Both work on 2x3.

Cheers,

Dan
sorry, left out a couple of words. That's "pay the price of having ... put in a proper modern shutter." The thing is now in a useless electric shutter that can be opened manually, and I'm trying it out on a 2x3 Speed.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnathan,

I agree that it's a very nice lens, but if your using all your movements on your Super Graphic, then you are using it as a view camera and not a press camera. And yes I admit I was thinking about a Crown when I made those statements.

As long you have the tripod it's a magnificent lens. But my experience with the 80WF shooting hand held groupshots on overcast days with a 2x3 made me run out and get an 80 Xenotar. I would expect the same thing with a 4x5 and the 135.

now landscape shooting with a Crown view or Graphic, then the 135 would be the first in the lens bag.

Les

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-15 19:22, Les wrote:
Johnathan,

I agree that it's a very nice lens, but if your using all your movements on your Super Graphic, then you are using it as a view camera and not a press camera. And yes I admit I was thinking about a Crown when I made those statements.

As long you have the tripod it's a magnificent lens. But my experience with the 80WF shooting hand held groupshots on overcast days with a 2x3 made me run out and get an 80 Xenotar. I would expect the same thing with a 4x5 and the 135.

now landscape shooting with a Crown view or Graphic, then the 135 would be the first in the lens bag.

Les

Les, I've heard conflicting reports on the 80 Xenotar's coverage. So it really does cover 2.25 x 3.25?

Cheers,

Dan
Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially the Xenotar and Planar will cover 6x6 only. You can squeek it to 6x7. It covers 6x9 only if I take my glasses off. I've got an 80mm f2.8 Ektar coming. It'll be interesting to see what that will cover. While it's in a Graphex shutter I suspect it's the same lens as in the early Hassy 1000f.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: