Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens for a Super Graphic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lraisch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I'm overlooking the obvious, but I have a few questions about matching up a lens to a Super Graphic body.

I have a chance to acquire the camera body with no lens or shutter. I have seen lots of reasonable lenses in the 135mm range that will cover 4X5 mounted in a Copal "O" shutter. If I get a lens board drilled for this size, is there anything else I need to be concerned with? I realize I will need a rangefinder cam and I assume I will have to learn how to adjust the infinity stops. Other than that, what should I look for? Is it possible that certain lenses will not allow the camera to close? Is it possible to mount a 135mm Nikkor W for instance?
Les

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1393013025

Look at the lens board in the auction above. Notice it has only 4 raised dots? This is the board you DON"T want. Super Graphics have slide locks on the side, Pacemakers have theirs on top. and the board is not square! This board was made before Super Graphics and is a Pacemaker only board. There aren't a lot of these around but you still should be aware of it. (actually I found three of them on ebay just now!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1393013025

here's a reproduction board. It has 8 dots,--4 more on the side for Super cameras. You can find original boards with 8 dots too. you just have to look.

Now once you get the right board just about any normal-ish lens from the time will fit and the bed will close. Once you get into new lenses you really need the dimensions in order to figure out what will fit and what won't.

I found out the hard way that an 80mm Xenotar won't allow the bed to close on a 2x3 Speed, but a 2x3 crown and century would close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: