Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

APX 100 developer/time?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a box of Agfa APX 100 4x5 to use in the Graphic for some studio portraits for school (I'm using TMAX400 for handheld/existing-light stuff). It's proving rather difficult to find a proper development time for it--- I've heard that Agfa's stated times aren't right, and I can only find "correct" times listed for rollfilm.

Anybody here have experience with this film? What developer do you reccomend, and for how long? Will it work in D76?
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a fair bit of APX 100 in 35mm and 120. I'll be ordering a box of 4x5 today but will have to wait for the camera before I use it. It works beautifully in D-23 and should be fine in D-76. Considering I use D-23 at 1:3 I'll just use my normal times to start and see how that goes. [20 minutes or so at 68F]
xyzphoto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a novice in developing sheet film. But with TMax 400 I have used the Kodak RS Developer and Replentisher 7 minutes, 68 degrees, and it worked fine.
musashi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Worked with the AGFA APX 100 and not only a coventional APX, but a very old APX (EXPIRED 1997) And i'm talking, pictures a few months ago. I tried to achieve a "printable" negative with D-76 and It didn't work. The only way I made it, was with the AGFA RODINAL 1:25. With a normal film, just follow the procedure. E.I. 100 - 125 ASA, 8 min, Rodinal 1:25, 20°C
I Hope this help you. Tell me about results!!
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agfa's listed developing times are way too long. For a starting point try 10 minutes at 68° with D-76 1:1 and constant agitation (in trays). If you use a tank, such as Yankee, you may need to extend the time a bit with intermittant agitation. D-76 at 1:1 gives beautiful results with this film. Agfa's 13 minutes is too much. Run a few test sheets.
Good luck ----

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The commonly available times from Agfa are for high contrast negatives. If you can find the Agfa document that discusses Agfa developers [not the one discussing the films] it contains times ranging from normal contrast to high contrast. The downside is that the info is only for Agfa developers. You can compare the times and get a ratio. For example if the high contrast time is 20% longer then the normal contrast number then use 80% of Agfa's high contrast time for your intial tests. I hope that makes sense.
Baker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up using the data from here (9 min., D76, 68 deg.) and it worked great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: