Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

synch problem superspeed-electronic flash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauschef

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am using a superspeed, everything is working great, but i cannot get my flash to synch at the fastest speeds. i use the shutter release, everything (including the flash) fires, but the polaroid is black. I have gotten an image at 1/2 second shutterspeed, I am not sure if there is a delay in the shutter or in the flash-trigger, don't know how to find out. please help, thanks.
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ought to be able to figure this out.

In the subject, you mention electronic flash. Assuming that's what you're using, tell us how you set up for a flash picture.

Are you connecting your flash connection cord directly to the front shutter? Is the connection on the shutter a "bi-post" connection [that is, does the shutter have two posts which plug directly into your cord?]. Most importantly, does that shutter have an "X" setting, and are you using that setting?
pauschef

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the connection is on the side of the body. it is a 3 prong graflex socket. here i plug in a 3 prong graflex to 2 prong household cord which goes into a household female to pc female which goes into a male pc to male pc cord which goes into my IR trigger which fires the flash. the lens has 2 settings X,M according to the manual the M setting is for graflex flashes and others up to 1/500, the X for anything faster. i have tried both settings on various times, no difference(that i can tell). i will order a synchcord from paramount to cut the distance but that should not be a problem anyway. the flash fires, the shutter fires, but i cannot tell if it fires before or after the shutter opens. considering i had some luck with a 1/2 sec exposure, i am assuming it fires after the shutter opens. could it be that there is an electronic delay, so by the time the flash is triggered the shutter has already closed again?
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes - that's a lot of connections and electronics to hope to sync to. First, if you want to sync the shutter to the electronic, ONLY use the X setting. You'll ALWAYS get a delay with it set on M.

Could the IR be interjecting a delay? Have you tried connecting the flash directly (w/o the IR?), that is the cord from the 3 prong connection directly to the flash? Or, do you have a battery case for that camera? If so, plug the household plug from the 3 prong connection into the battery case, and plug the electronic flash into the "extension" outlet of the case. Either of those direct connections, coupled with using the X setting of the shutter, should yield a synced shot. If not, perhaps there's a problem with the shutter itself. Some were converted to sync ONLY to bulbs, while others were changed to sync ONLY to elec. flash. You might have one of the former.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: