Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rail travel on top-mount Crown??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vljenewein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older Pacemaker Speed Graphic and the newer Crown with the top rangefider. My question is this: On the Speed (older with side Kalart) you can position the lens (any lens for that matter), and have a great distance of travel on the focusing rails using the knobs. But, on the top mounted Crown, I set the lens to the infinity stop and focus using the rails, same as speed, ONLY there is a limited amount of bellows travel forward, before it encounters 'like a stop' and if you want it further forward you have to keep turning harder for it to go forward. Is this damaging to the rangefinder if I keep traveling forward? I notice that the cam is coupled to the rail in a permanent fashion and don't want to do something that is going to damage it. Whereas, on the speed, the cam is on the rail, but after a bit of forward travel leaves the actuating arm behind and as it travels forward.

I have my Schneider Symar-S MC 210mm lens on a board for 4X5 and it works great on the speed as I can lock it in further out on the rails and have a great amount of bellows draw, and use the ground glass for focusing. But, with the top mounted Crown, there is only (apparent) a limited amount of travel of the bellows *before encountering the tightness*.

Any ideas if the Crown can be safely moved forward after it reaches it's tight part?

Thanks!

Vernon Jenewein
jenefarm@direcway.com
Les

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of travel for the rails should be about the same. The factory linkage for a top rangefinder is a pin/plunger on the right side (facing the lens) it is not permanently mounted but merely is pushed by a flat extention of the rails.

so this tightness should not harm the rangefinder unless somebody else has been in there messin' with it.

I suspect it may be the lock on the right front of the bed, sometimes it bites harder on the rear half of the rails than the front half.

It may also be the linkage between the back and the front rails have been worn/damaged and are not following smoothly.

From the fully rectracted position, how far will the rails go before encountering resistance?
vljenewein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Les,
From the fully retracted position it will go about 0.60 inch forward before encountering resistance. I see what you mean about the plunger. As I move the rail forward, though stiff, it just leaves the plunger behind. I was worried that the plunger was connected to the rail part and might bend it if it went too far out. If you look down at the camera, lens locked inside, you will see the hinge, and the back and forward rails. You can see the slot on the front rails and where the corresponding piece meets that slot is where I encounter resistance. I originally thought it to be a permanent stop. The lever on the right front of the lens to restrict movement is loose. This camera looks to be nearly new, and has little useage at all. I suspect that the lens was never exchanged on this, and the other owner just never moved it out past the place where the slot meet the back rail. Perhaps I can loosen the screws a bit on the rail to allow it to "wear in" a bit??

Thanks Les!

Vernon Jenewein
jenefarm@direcway.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: