Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New owner of Crown Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip LeBlanc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I just received my Graflex Crown Graphic 45 Special with 135mm f/4.5 lens. Camera appears as new and includes the original box and documents. I bought this on eBay from a guy who bought it in the 70's, used it for three months and put it away until now. The S/N is 990198. Supposedly it is one of the last ones made. It has a Rodenstock Ysarex 135mm lens on a Synchro Compur shutter. I do not have a film back yet but have a 545i Polaroid back and some film coming. Other backs will follow once I become proficient with the camera. The shutter seems a little sluggish at slower speeds but sounds pretty close at faster settings. I compared it to the shutter on my Polaroid 600SE. Who would be the best choice to send the shutter for repairs / CLA? Also, Where is the best place to buy the aluminum lens boards for this camera. I have searched the web and found quite a few wood boards with square corners that say they are for Graflex cameras but I am sure they won't work. What are other lenses I should consider purchasing? What about film backs? I have read the Graflex.org FAQ sections, but am looking for some real world experience. I read somewhere that I can use readyload wet process film in the Polaroid 545i back. Is that true? Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to getting to know y'all.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your serial number does put it in the very late model. Check to see if there is an alpha code stamped either on the underside of the rail strut (the web that keeps the focus rails together on the bed). Sometimes they stamped the date code on the inside of the body on the left side. It will be a 3 letter code like K4A or in your case in might be a D2B or some such. There is a page on this site that goes into more detail.This would be more accurate than the serial number.

Asking what other lenses you need is a lot like asking what the best restaurant in town is. I tend to shoot wide so the 58mm Grandagon the 65mm Super Angulon, the 90 Angulon and the 135 Xenar are always with me. The 180 Componon, the 10" (250mm) Tele Optar and the 15" Tele Optar come along only on request.

But people out west where there are vast expanses of vast expanses, tend to shoot long.

The next lens should be either a 90mm Angulon, WA Optar or similar or something in the 180-203 range. The 203 f7.7 Ektar is a great performer and reasonable priced on the used market. A 180 Symmar S is very nice too.

As for film holders, I prefer the Graflex Riteway holders. They hold up better, leak light less than other used holders. New holders are too expensive.
Kim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this camera, pretty sure anyway, on ebay....I am jealous!

Have much fun, i think it is a great camera.

Kim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: