Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sylvania FP-26 Bulbs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these useable in a Graflex flash with a Crown Graphic? I got a bunch of these recently from 'wEPAY' really cheap. I notice the warning not to use these with a Super D elsewhere on this site and am wondering if that was true for *all* Graflex cameras.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the warning about not using them with a Super D, but I'll take a guess as to why it was said.

Graflex focal plane shutters use a traveling slit. Unlike 35mm SLRs, Graflex didn't have a true shutter speed where the entire film gate was open at one time (yeah there is the O position, but it's really open flash)
Consequently Flash bulbs for Focal plane cameras have to have a steady long burn rate compared to common bulbs.

Also note that it will take longer for the same size slit to travel 2 1/4 inches than it does 4 inches....... So I'm guessing the FP 26 is good for a Mini speed or an 2x3 but burns out before the shutter can travel that long lenght of 4 inches.

They would be great on a mini or probably up to a 3x4 Pacemaker. You can also use them in open flash with a much greater guide number than listed since ALL of the light is hit ALL of the film at once.

Check the directions on the package and see if it says "for small focal plane shutters" or something close.

i doubt it would do anything harmful to the camera.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-09-20 15:12 ]
AWT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as a follow-up answer to my own post, after doing a little playing around with my Crown and some Polaroid Type 55, I've discovered that the FP26 bulbs do just fine. I was never concerned that they would harm the camera, only that the flash would never sync properly with the shutter.

I found that with them, on an interior room at night, they allowed me to follow the "Sunny-16" Rule, ie., I set my shutter for 1/50th (Type 55 film = ASA 50) and my aperture to f16. The resultant exposure was darn-near perfect (except for a little blow-out from really white or glass surfaces.)

Now, I just need to go outside and shoot something more interesting than my Living Room....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: