Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D-76 & other Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The logical solution is to buy liquid concentrate such as Kodak HC-110 or Agfa Rodinal and mix whatever small quantity you need. The concentrates stay okay tightly capped for about six months...and come in various sizes. Calculate the amount you normally use in 6-months..and buy the concentrate in whatever size will provide what you need based on their dilution rate. That's what I do. Fred.
Offset

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi shutter up...
Spooning dry chemicals from the package is risky because there is a good chance of not having an accurate "mix" in every spoonful. HC-110 is a great way to go, as the liquid concentrate lasts a very long time. Mix it straight from the liquid concentrate at 31:1, and it works great! Buy a cheap oral syringe from the drugstore. They are marked in cc's, which are the same as ml's, so it makes it easy!
offset
Springback

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a liquid version of D-76 for mixing small batches, try Nacco 76. Freestyle carries it, though its not in thier latest catalog. You have to mix a stock solution of HC-110 first, then make your working solution(usually the famous "dil.B" from that. I am not sure how long the stock solution will keep. Rodinal comes in little plastic bottles(the larger bottles, I understand, require a haz-mat fee) so you might find it simpler to use Rodinal. I've had good luck with Rodinal on slower films(125 ASA) but don't like it on faster(400 ASA) films---but then I guess thats just personal preference. Good luck!
supermouse1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experiance with Kodak XTOL film developer? I have liked to use D-76 1:1, but have been advised against it for sheet film by Kodak. The great thing about D-76 is it is cheap when used 1:1, and has good storage life. Anyway XTOL packages say that it will store in tight bottles with little air for 1 year. I just used a developing time from
digitaltruth.com on 120 roll film, and it looks very good. There are times for straight, 1:1, 1:2, and 1:4 mixes. i am thinking about storing a 5 liter mix in 5 quart bottles with rubber stoppers. On storage bottles I used to use the Coors quart bottle with the widee mouth. But you can't drink enough in one day to mix color chem!
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did they say not to use it? D-76 is almost older then sheet film-))
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using XTOL for some time and it does store well. I haven't refined enough to state any preferences but 1:2 or 1:3 does allow more tolerance room with TMAX films and Afga Pan seems to do well also.
Charles

Offset

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Springback..
No, you don't have to mix HC-110 to a stock solution first. Kodak just thinks that is a convenient way to go. Mix it from the gooey concentrate at 31:1 using a small oral syringe, and you are ready to roll! Toss the developer when you are through!It's a quick and inexpensive way to go! Honest!
offset
supermouse1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-23 12:54, Nick wrote:
Why did they say not to use it? D-76 is almost older then sheet film-))

According to Kodak there is some problem with redepositing undeveloped silver back onto the negative at the lower dillution of 1:1, bit not at full strength. Arista films give development times for there sheet film in D-76 1:1, and with roll film Kodak is OK with it. I have used D-76 1:1 forever, but now I am looking into other film/developer combos.
Offset

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Xtol users...
If what you are doing with Xtol is working for you, that's great! But watch out for the stuff - especially in mixes greater than 1:1 - it poops out really quick, and you may not get the consistancy you want. Notice that Kodak no longer recommends anything geater than 1:1 on their website! I had inconsistancy problems with 1:2 Xtol - even 1:1 Xtol on rolls of 220 film - even with extra-extra agitation! Problem does not happen with D76 /ID-11 or HC-110! Just a word to the wise!
offset
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilford gives times for 1:3 for thier films and D-76. Kodak isn't exactly the type of company that takes risks. If it's worked for you up to now why switch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: