Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to me Ciro-flex

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spunky1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased my first large format camera today at an auction. I purchased a Ciro-flex Model E and haven't a clue how to operate it. I plan on having it checked out at my local camera shop, but just need a few tips on how to do basic things with this camera. Number one...how does one actually take a picture? I think I've figured it out, but I'm so new to this camera that I'm really unsure of myself. There's even some film in the camera that I hope to take in this coming weekend to see if I've managed to take a few pictures. If anyone can assist me, I would be grateful!
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Ciro-flex, but not familiar with which lens and shutter came on your Model E. Please give more details. Mine has the low-end Century shutter and Alphax lens. The shutter is self-cocking, so all you do is focus your picture in the ground glass and snap the shutter. If yours has a Rapax Shutter, you have to cock it first. Of course, you have to set your shutter speed and lens opening for proper exposure. Tell me what the ASA or ISO rating of your film is, and I can give you some basic settings. For example, if you're using film with a speed of 125, setting your shutter at 1/100th and your aperture to f8 would get a shot in the sun. If the film speed is 400, then 1/200th at f16 would do in bright sunlight. As the light gets dimmer, open up an f stop or two. Shoot shots at different settings...take notes on your settings and conditions until you get the hang of it...or buy an exposure meter and learn how to use it. Fred.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! Made a typo above. Meant to say 1/100th at f16 using 400-speed film in sunlight. That's what works for me. I shoot B&W and develop for about 7-1/2minutes at 68 degrees Fahrenheit in D-76. Fred.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-12 05:50, clnfrd wrote:
Whoops! Made a typo above. Meant to say 1/100th at f16 using 400-speed film in sunlight. That's what works for me. I shoot B&W and develop for about 7-1/2minutes at 68 degrees Fahrenheit in D-76. Fred.
Um, Fred, I realize one can get away with a lot when using negative film, but isn't the Sunny 16 rule "use f/16 @ 1/ISO"?

In your cases, ISO 125 film wants 1/125, ISO 400 wants 1/400, both at f/16.

Cheers,

Dan
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, Dan...I honestly had never used the "Sunny 16" rule. I use the "Stupid Fred" rule...which is trial-and-error until I get it right...and, for whatever reason, with my equipment and development methods, I shoot 1/100th @ f8 with ISO 125 B&W, which is no-name stuff I bought on the internet (Actually 35mm shot in my Retinas) with good results. And I just took a reading on my rear deck...sunny...with my G-E PR-1 Exposure meter...and it says 1/100th @f16 for 400 ISO(ASA) film. (I shoot Ilford HP5- Plus 400-speed in my Graflexes). Maybe...just maybe...everything I own and used is flawed to a degree: Apertures...shutter speeds...exposure meters...film...me....and it all gives me what I have used with success. So, perhaps I shouldn't give exposure advice using my un-calibrated stuff in the future. Of course, I tweak these settings according to conditions...stop down more with a lot of reflective stuff in the scene...open up more if there's a lot of dark stuff in the scene. The info I gave was for average conditions, and, as I stated originally, "It works for me". Thanks. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-10-12 10:59 ]
Les

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actuall the sunny rule of f16 was

"f16 at 1/asa in bright sun on sand or snow"

Normal would be f11

so Fred exposes a bit more for the shadows....

or

All of his equipment is still using the 50s ASA before they removed the 2 stop 'safety factor".

clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Les....as a matter of fact, everything I have...including me...operates in 1950's mode. Fred.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-12 11:52, Les wrote:
Actuall the sunny rule of f16 was

"f16 at 1/asa in bright sun on sand or snow"

Normal would be f11

so Fred exposes a bit more for the shadows....

or

All of his equipment is still using the 50s ASA before they removed the 2 stop 'safety factor".

Wrong again, alas. But my gear works on the modern ISO (formerly ASA) standard.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> CiroFlex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: