Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still trying to figure it out...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilot228

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the posts so far, at least I have somewhere to start now. My back looks close to the one in the picture at the very bottom of the page from the first link in the previous post EXCEPT it does not have the "wing" tabs on the right side. By sliding a metal retaining tab on the top of the rear face of the back (similar to how the lensboard is retained on the front) I am able to remove the hood/ground glass assembly from the back (the rest of the back remains on the camera). There are no springs or clamps connecting this hood/ground glass assembly to the back. If I now place a film holder up against the remaining portion of the back (covering the opening) and try to replace the hood/ground glass assembly over it, due to the thickness of the film holder, I am unable to use the sliding retaining clip to hold the ground glass assembly in place, it sticks out to far. Again thanks for your help. I'll try to post some pictures of my problem online, maybe that will help the problem solving.
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-01 08:40, pilot228 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the posts so far, at least I have somewhere to start now. My back looks close to the one in the picture at the very bottom of the page from the first link in the previous post EXCEPT it does not have the "wing" tabs on the right side. By sliding a metal retaining tab on the top of the rear face of the back (similar to how the lensboard is retained on the front) I am able to remove the hood/ground glass assembly from the back (the rest of the back remains on the camera). There are no springs or clamps connecting this hood/ground glass assembly to the back. If I now place a film holder up against the remaining portion of the back (covering the opening) and try to replace the hood/ground glass assembly over it, due to the thickness of the film holder, I am unable to use the sliding retaining clip to hold the ground glass assembly in place, it sticks out to far. Again thanks for your help. I'll try to post some pictures of my problem online, maybe that will help the problem solving.

Just a mention. You should have replied in the same thread so we could all follow the replies & such...

Anyway. I may have an idea. It sounds like you have a Graflex back. They were made, but I've never seen one for a GV. They do work, similar to a Graflok, by removing the focus panel (with the GG) and then holding in a film holder with the sliding lock. The way to tel is that a Graflex back has only one sliding lock at the top. The bottom bar does not move. And the focus panel is removed by the sliding lock, not the two spring bars I mention for the Graflok.

Now, if you do have a Graflex back you have two options. You can try to find the old film holders that will work with it, or you can replace the entire back with either a Spring or Graflok back. Spring backs are pretty cheap, but both are not that easy to find. And if you do replace the back and don't have any further need of the Graflex back, let me know. I'd love to add it to my collection!

clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was browsing this site : http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GraphicView2Service.pdf

And found the GV I did indeed come with a Graflex back, and the description Pilot 228 gives IS that of a Graflex back. Look for Paragraph 13. The Graflex back requires GRAFLEX film holders that are grooved along the top and bottom edges or a Grafmatic for GRAFLEX backs. They made a Film pack adapter too, but film no longer available. The info at this site makes reference to replacing the older Graflex back with a newer back. Hope this helps. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-10-01 18:05 ]
pilot228

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys, it's starting to make a little sense now. I guess I'll have to look around for some of the graflex holders or a new back to get this show on the road. All of the stuff I have came in the same carrying case from the same owner, I'm curious to know how they used the thing with a back and holders that don't match up.
MikeS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the topic of Graflex backs as opposed to Graphic backs, I have a 4x5 Grafmatic film holder that is for the Graflex back that I have no use for. If somebody would like to either buy it, or trade me a Graphic model grafmatic for it, please get in touch with me. Thanks. ( this is my first posting to this board, but not my last!)

Rangemaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a spring back and a Graflex back that are just collecting dust and need new homes, I would be interested in trading for a lens board for a Speed Graphic.

Not trying to sell, Just letting everybody know.

Dave Parker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: