Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how old is my 8x10 eastman view camera?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richshirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Eastman view camera,8x10 model 2D manufactured by Folmer Graflex Corp.for Eastman Kodak. I would like to know just how old it is .Can you help.e-mail there is a number stamped under the ground glass it is230.still waiting for help with this question. richshirl@erols.com thanks

[ This Message was edited by: richshirl on 2001-10-12 13:34 ]
Simmel

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an Eastman View Camera No.2-D ans would like to know likely age and value of same. I have had it for thirty years or so and am just getting back into large format. I recollect paying around $200 with an assortment of barrel lens, film holders and an old enlarger. I notice that you haven't gotten an answer yet. If you have found age from another source please let me know. Steve Immel
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help a little
http://www.photographics.com/products/productDetails.cfm?prodID=3674&sid=71303620020502201333.660897712 says it's worth $220 to $637.

And http://www.google.com in the search box "eastman 2D 8X10 camera" and a lot of help.

http://www.fiberq.com/cam/ekc/2d.htm

This site says it was produced from 1923 until replaced by the all metal Master View, around 1932 or 1933.

http://www.fiberq.com/cam has a lot of information on early large format cameras. Century camera company is listed and Folmer & Schwing is found under Eastman Companies. Happy reading.

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-05-03 14:22 ]
extraparts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2d that was made for the Airforce. It has an "order number" on a metal plate which starts with 45-xxxxx. I thought the 45 was the year of the order.

Also my camera has a serial number which becomes visiable by tilting the back backwards. You don't see it otherwise.

My boss has a 2d which is older, and doesn't have a serial number.

Neal
Gandolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somewhere on all of these cameras is a 6 digit number stamped into the wood. It will be in an out of the way place, but not covered by plates , molding or bellows.

On some 5x7 2Ds the number was stamped on the board of the rear standard that sits just above the rails. It's stamped on the leading edge, so you would look under the bellows, between the front and rear standard.

without a serial number the following rules of thumb apply.

"Eastman View 2D" manufactured by
Folmer & Schwing Department of Eastman Kodak"

dates from '21/'23 the start of the 2D series, to '26 when F&S became...

"...manufactured by Folmer Graflex Corp"

'26-'45 when they changed again to...

"...manufactured by Graflex Inc
45-??? not sure when they ended the 2D.

BTW the D stands for dark finish.

I've written to rickshirl privately and he has not responded.

For Extraparts, like most of the military , any numbers on such plates are useless. While 45 may be the year of the contract it doesn't tell us when the camera was made.

A possible clue is that in '46 the Air Force got out from the wing of the Army and be came a unit by itself. Before that it was the Army Air Corps. If the plate says anything about the Army, it's pre '46.

[ This Message was edited by: Gandolf on 2002-06-02 08:33 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: