Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I get B&W film developed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 pro labs in my area do not handle 4x5 b&w film. Anyone on this forum have experience with places where I can send this stuff to?

I'm not interested in doing my own developing for a number of reasons (health, space, $$, time).

Thanks in advance!
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-04 13:04, AWT wrote:
The 3 pro labs in my area do not handle 4x5 b&w film. Anyone on this forum have experience with places where I can send this stuff to?

I'm not interested in doing my own developing for a number of reasons (health, space, $$, time).

Thanks in advance!

I'm kind of surprised noone has left a reply? Maybe because we all do our own B&W?
With that said, no I don't have any experiencesending it out either...

There are a few labs that advertise in the good mags. And if you look in this forum at a message with the subject of "Our services" you'll see someone advertising just that. I have no personal experience and can't speak for them, but it may be worth looking into...

AWT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was kinda "whelmed" at the lack of resplies myself.

Thanks for the tip. I don't get any of the "dead tree" mags, but maybe I'll see what's on the 'Net and be the Guinea pig.
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of the problem is B&W tends to be a bit more of a crap shoot then either C-41 or E-6. All the choices the lab can make tends to make it harder to find exactly what a person might want. This assumes the lab is actually a good B&W lab. I know that several labs up here handle B&W but I've no idea if they do a good job. The other issue is the cost. By the time you've had 200 sheets done by the local labs you could have bought a used small Jobo setup. By the time you've done 300 you might have bought a brand new one. The same system would also handle E-6/C-41. Not to mention anything smaller then 4x5.

Try posting to rec.photo.equipment.large-format on usenet. I'm sure you'll get a few answers. Then send a few tests to each to figure out which one you like best.
xyzphoto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Photo.net website:
subtopic "List of all forums"
subtopic "B & W photo. film and
processing",
there is some discussion of what some users think of certain labs.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from photo.net user recommendation threads, I found positive listings for a place called Worldwide Camera in Savannah,GA which may or may not be an option for you depending on what area of SC you are in and i'm unsure if they do mail processing.

I will be contacting them in the coming month as I have a well-deserved vacation on the horizon and we'll be going to the Beaufort/Battery Creek/Parris Island SC area and maybe they'll be able to do some processing for me while we are down there, unless i can find something closer than the one-hour drive to Savannah.

Hope this helps.
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,
I'd like to know if you have luck at the GA lab; I'm not terribly far away here in western N.C., but I'd still have to mail order (if they even do that).

Maybe I'll stick to my plan to try Scala in 4x5 first before Plus-X, T-Max, etc....

--Micah in NC
AWT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for everyone's help. I'll give the place in Savannah a call. I live in the Upstate of SC, about as far from Savannah as you can be and still be in SC, but GA is a good deal closer than CA!

Normally I wouldn't think of shooting B&W, but I wanted to do some old-style Hollywood-type shots of my wife's dance comrades at a recent show.
Rdwest1369

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-04 13:04, AWT wrote:

Thanks in advance!

BWC still processes 4x5 http://www.bwc.net/
hth
Richard West
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: