Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retina IIa Rangefinder
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kodak Retina IIa I'm toying with needs the rangefinder calibrated. The images won't converge at infinity and they're proportionately off at the other distances. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for any help. Fred.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thing after another. One of the problems with the Retina is the focusing ring is slipping, so the distance scale is off, and constantly changing as it slips in both directions. The more I focus with it, the more it slips, as if there's a clutch involved. Anyone have any knowledge of how this works? Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-07-10 08:35 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit paydirt! Got the info I need to dis-assemble this baby from a guy on photo.net. Thanks. In the off-chance anyone is interested, here it is: http://retina.topcities.com/retinafocusmechanism.html Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-07-10 14:36 ]
Burtscher Eric

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cher Fred,

Je possède un Retina II a, si j’ai bien compris, tu ne peux avoir de bonne mise au point, tu as, ou quelqu’un a fermé l’appareil en position autre que l’infini, cela endommage gravement le télémètre. Je connais un réparateur, mais il est en France.
Le Retina II est un appareil très bien, surtout avec une optique Schneider, cher Fred, j’espère que ton Rétina n’est pas trop gravement endommagé.
Très amicalement, Eric.
PS : je demande à une amie anglophone de traduire ce message, et le renvoie en anglais dès demain.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-03 12:29, Burtscher Eric wrote:
Cher Fred,

Je possède un Retina II a, si j?ai bien compris, tu ne peux avoir de bonne mise au point, tu as, ou quelqu?un a fermé l?appareil en position autre que l?infini, cela endommage gravement le télémètre. Je connais un réparateur, mais il est en France.
Le Retina II est un appareil très bien, surtout avec une optique Schneider, cher Fred, j?espère que ton Rétina n?est pas trop gravement endommagé.
Très amicalement, Eric.
PS : je demande à une amie anglophone de traduire ce message, et le renvoie en anglais dès demain.

Dear Fred:

I have a Retina IIa. If I understood you, you can't have a good situation. You, or someone, closed the camera with the lens not set to infinity. This can severely damage the rangefinder. I know a repairman, but he's in France. The Retina II is a very fine camera, especially with a Schneider lens, dear Fred, and I hope that yours isn't too badly damaged.

With friendly good wishes,

Eric

p.s. I'll ask an english-speaking lady friend to translate this message and I'll post the translation by tomorrow.

PMFJI. I second the motion about the Retina II being a good camera, I used to use one as a bicycling camera. It worked, took good pictures, wasn't too big, and when closed wouldn't hurt me too badly if I spilled and landed on it. Anyone know a good Retina repairman here? I have a IB that needs service, and George Mrus is no longer with us.

Cheers,

Dan
Burtscher Eric

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Au cas ou…
Je peux vous donner l’adresse du réparateur d’appareil photographique en France, et, me propose de servir de contact en France pour les amis de Graflex.org.
Naturellement, je suis sur qu’aux Etats Unis, bon nombre de réparateurs peuvent faire les travaux de réparations, toutes fois, Mr Planson est un des rares qui a habitude des anciens appareils photographiques, Retina, Leïca, Zeïss Ikon, Voigtlander…
Si Dan peut traduire...merci à l'avance

Très amicalement, Eric.

PS : mon adresse électronique : eric.burtscher@libertysurf.fr

clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Folks, as my French is very poor even though my Mother was of French ancestry, I hope Eric can get his English-speaking friend to translate this. I used the info from Chris's web-site: http://retina.topcities.com/retinafocusmechanism.html
to dis-assemble the IIa, clean and lubricate the focusing ring, which cured the original problem. The front lens group that is sealed, behind the front lens, is cloudy. So, I have bought another one from a guy in Australia, and haven't received it yet. When I do...if it's clean...I will use a piece of ground glass I have cut to check the focus..and I will get the focus scale to agree with the actual focus on the ground glass. If I can get that "right on", I will then remove the top of the camera and re-calibrate the rangefinder as per the instructions included on the above-mentioned web-site. Thanks to Eric for his interest...and I am determined to get this Retina IIa to be in excellent operating condition. To me, the fun of this is to do it yourself. Sometimes I'm like a bull in a china shop...I get very frustrated with the projects...but my tenacity ultimately will prevail. Fred.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-03 13:54, Burtscher Eric wrote:
Au cas ou…
Je peux vous donner l’adresse du réparateur d’appareil photographique en France, et, me propose de servir de contact en France pour les amis de Graflex.org.
Naturellement, je suis sur qu’aux Etats Unis, bon nombre de réparateurs peuvent faire les travaux de réparations, toutes fois, Mr Planson est un des rares qui a habitude des anciens appareils photographiques, Retina, Leïca, Zeïss Ikon, Voigtlander…
Si Dan peut traduire...merci à l'avance

Très amicalement, Eric.

PS : mon adresse électronique : eric.burtscher@libertysurf.fr

Well, then ...

I can give you the address of a man in France who repairs cameras, and I offer to serve as contact between him and my friends from graflex.org. M. Planson is one of those rare people who's used to working on old cameras such as Retina, Leïca, Zeïss Ikon, Voigtlander… .

If Dan can translate, thanks in advance.

With very friendly greetings, Eric.

Et ou est Fox Talbot, Eric qui faites des calotypes?
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan, for the translation. Several months ago I had attempted to communicate with Eric, using an English/French dictionary, but it was very cumbersome, and I doubt if it was very accurate. Fred. P.S. And thanks to Eric for his kind offer of help. If I end up in a blind alley, I may take him up on it.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-09-03 18:25 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-03 18:22, clnfrd wrote:
Thanks, Dan, for the translation. Several months ago I had attempted to communicate with Eric, using an English/French dictionary, but it was very cumbersome, and I doubt if it was very accurate. Fred. P.S. And thanks to Eric for his kind offer of help. If I end up in a blind alley, I may take him up on it.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-09-03 18:25 ]
You're welcome. Pity that so many schools (colleges, graduate programs) have dropped the foreign language requirement, even though one has to choose one language since all of them's pretty impractical. Easy for a european visitor here, it has to learn only one language. Hard for a visitor to europe, there's no one language.

Cheers,

Dan
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan...Unfortunately I had two years of Latin...not very practical. Fred.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-04 05:04, clnfrd wrote:
Dan...Unfortunately I had two years of Latin...not very practical. Fred.
Me too. Somehow scraped through, learned absolutely nothing, remember even less.

Cheers,

Dan
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we're never too old to learn. My wife and I have always wanted to learn French, so think I'll order "French For Dummies" as a starter. Fred.
Burtscher Eric

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amicorum Amricaini me,

Videone Fred, scribis 2 annus Latini.
Te do 'courriel(em)' me
eric.burtscher@libertysurf.fr

Amicus me, Eric te salutat frateri.

clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric et al...I had two years of Latin in High School...in 1950 and 1951...and don't remember much. Therefore, I am at a loss regarding conversing in it. I have sent you an email to this effect. Perhaps at some future point in time, I will be more adept at conversing in French. Thanks. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: