Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flash bulbs or monolights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkienstra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone would have information on watt second ratings on flashbulbs. I have several 900ws monolights, and would like to experiment with some night shots ala O. Winston Link. I know he had some tremendous flash equipment, but I need to know just how far off I am from matching it with my strobes. I understand some old flashbulbs were quite powerful used singly, nevermind in a bank of 8 or so...
Many thanks!

Thomas Kienstra
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a measurement of flash bulbs in watt seconds. AFAIK, you'll have to convert the output of your Monolight into a guide number, then compare that with those of flashbulbs. You can get the flashbulb info here:

http://www.flashbulbs.com/clearbulbs.htm
Les

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Alec has the easier route. I was going to suggest that you convert your flash into Lumen seconds as flash bulb data in lumen seconds or total lumen output is readily available.

Watt-seconds rating only measures the amount of power used, much like kilowatt-hours. Depending on how efficient your flash unit is you can get more light from your power.

Lumen seconds is tied directly to light output but can be manipulated by the type and size of the reflector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: