Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First 8x10 negative!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation. An ingenious method of agitation. Nitrogen is very plentiful. In fact, there's more nitrogen in the air we breathe than any other element. 78%, to be exact...21% oxygen...1% argon. Fred.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 20:33 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charles! I had to go all the way back to the beggining of the thread to find out we're talking about 8x10 holders here
Yes, I had to set the dark slides out of the bag also, but I could only work on one at a time and the slide would only come out about 4 inches. I was hoping the darkslide could be removed in the tent, but it's still a workable solution. So your tent is a huge improvement over the bag! I'll have to give it a try. Seems very worthwhile considering the cost.

45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-22 19:36, 45PSS wrote:
Rich,
I saw the comment about you not being able to find a reducing back for your 8 x 10. What are the outside dementions, lip inside if any, and the pin positions? I'm speculating that other camera backs will fit and the sellers don't know enough to list it.
I have such a gamble for my 8 x 10 in the mail.
Charles

I'm sure there are other backs that might fit, but it's ahrd to find a reducing back (for a reasonable price) at all let alone someone who is willing to measure.
My back measures roughly 11 5/8 square with a pin spacing of 10 3/8. I didn't write down the inside lip dimensions but could get at it. I think this may be the 'standard' 11 1/2 inch back but I could be completely wrong.
I did buy a back that turned out to be too large. But it's nice looking and just before I left for vacation, so I kept it and may cut it down. The dealer did mention a grey back for the B&J which would be the obvious correct one, but he didn't have any. So, I'm still searching for the correct original back, I will probably try cutting down this back, and then may make a new one using a Graflex Graflok back from a Speed/Crown. One way or the other I'll get a 4x5 back on that camera And now remembering what I just recently said about Graphic backs, maybe I could get one of those cheap when someone replaces theirs with a Graflok? I sure don't need a Graflok on the 8x10... But what a joke to slide a 35mm back into the Graflok on an 8x10 with a 28 inch lens

45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-22 22:39, 45PSS wrote:
My Commercial View is 11 3/8 square with 10 3/8 pin spacing and I'm betting the Kodak Model 2(D) is the same.
I saw one newly listed with back and one ending with standard and reducing back just before returning here and from the pictures looks like the Kodak Model 2(D) will work.
Charles

I thought the 2d and Korona backs would fit but had no way to find out. Since I already 'wasted' the money on a non-fitting back I don't think I'd take the chance with another auction unless the seller absolutely knoew and used it with the B&J. At least if I buy one from a reputable dealer, they will either know it's the correct back or will take it back with no problems. And I would like to get the original grey back for it just to be a bit more complete. And as long as I don't slip on the router table, the back I have will be made to fit. I'll be a bit more than upset if I ruin it though... The dealer said it was mahogany but I'n not so sure. It's a B&J, natural wood and very pretty. But luckily(?) it has a damaged corner so cutting it down doesn't make me feel like I'm ruining it. Don't know what it came from? Never saw a B&J with a back in natural wood that large?

45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 20:34 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some pics of a stripped & restored Com.View that was just beautiful. I'd like to do that to mine, but a whole lot of work...
I've also done some more searching. Seems a few people sell a back to fit the B&J, 2D & Korona and in a natural finish. My impression would be that the 12 inch back I have is that one. So a back from a 2D or Korona wouldn't fit. But these old wood cameras are worse than Graflex at standards And i still have no idea what B&J took a 12 inch back? There's not a whole lot of info available about the cameras they sold. Luckily I did get a copy of an undated catalog page for the Com.View. Came in 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20. And I've seen quite a few variations on the used market...

RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-15 22:06, 45PSS wrote:
Quote:
Yes, deffinitely let me know about the Photoflex. I saw them while searching for the Harrison.

My lisco's arrived today so I put them in the Photoflex. Set the darkslides Before puting them in, darkslide will only go 90% out of the holder. A 50 sheet box and 4 or 5 holders would be the max at on time. One will have to shuffle from bottom to top of stack and curl the film a little. Box of film could be worked at 900 to the film holder(s) if holders are oriented to the length of the changing room.
Charles

Well, I finally broke down and ordered the Photoflex yesterday. Checked around for a good price, taking into consideration tax & shipping. Figured since I was ordering, I grab a few minor things also.
Got the confirmation today and guess what? I'm getting the minor stuff but no Photoflex! No mention of backorder or out of stock, just a zero in the shipped field... Figures... I should have place the order by phone... I hope I don't have to wait too long because I'd sure like to get some film through this camera...

RichS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the Photoflex Changing Room today. Interesting, especially in trying to close it back up Would have been nice if the instructions included that part!

It will work for 8x10. A little tight and very different from the bag. It has to be worked to/away from you instead of sideways like the bag. But there's a whole lot more room and does work a whole lot better. I haven't tried any more than a test sheet in one holder yet, but it's well worth the investment. Thanks for the recommendation!

And I also have to laugh at the huge warning sheet included that states after a large "Caution", that individual tents are not tested for light leeks! Luckily(?) this tent seems pretty light tight and makes for interesting head wear Now all I have to do is find the time to load up and go shooting....

45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 20:34 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-08 18:58, 45PSS wrote:
Rich,
With zippers in the open position, put the pull on the bottom in your left hand, put the pull on the top in your right, now do the inverse of opening the changing room, PUSH!
Charles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: