Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Graphic replacement bellows question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murray@uptowngallery.org

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

I purchased on eBay a used bellows "from a 4x5 Speed Graphic, not sure which model, all pretty much the same..."

This has 8 'ears', 2 at each corner at the back, looking like they were pried free of whatever they were mounted to. Inth efront, there is an attached 'mounting flange' that has holes and a lip. Along the side of the bellows are 3 rectangular 'loops', perhaps to support the bellows or perhaps guide either a shutter release cable or rangefinder cable.

Does anyone recognize this from it's description, and are there many variations?

I intend to use it with a Speed Graphic I dont' have yet, allegedly in poor condition but shutter working. I hear it has no back and no lensboard and the bellows is 'shot'. I was goign to homebrew/DIY the missing parts and this beats having to fold my own bellows. Whether there are different dimensions for bellows for different vintages won't be an obstacle, but I'd like to know.

Thank you

Murray
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference: http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/pacemaker-speed-graphic.html
and its many links.
The seam of any bellows is always placed on the bottom. The LOOPS , width of bellows, extend 1/2 inch from bellows, are the Pacemaker body release cable guide and are the Bottom of the bellows. The plate on the front attaches to the front standard.
Ues the search feature with Manual(s) as the keyword and search the help board. There are a few members with a complete Top RF Pacemaker manual that can be downloaded from their site. 95%+ of the Top RF applies to the side RF as well.

Charles

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murray, The Anniversary models and the Pacemaker both had the fold over tabs, the Ann model was the first of the line to have a metal divider, Pre-Ann was tacked in place! The Top RF model has fixed tabs, and you flex the bellows at the top and bottom centerline to attach, then there are 2 U shaped retainers placed top and bot c-line to hold the rear of the bellows in place! The bellows are interchangable. Bert

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2003-06-28 14:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2003-06-28 14:27 ]
jdman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bellows on my Anniversary will not fit the front standard of a Pacemaker. They may be the same on the back but not on the front.Russ
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ is right, I was very much in error on my last post, sorry about the fopaw!
THE Pre-Ann and the Aniversary models both had the tack-in bellows, and the lens standards were both made for the wood lensboards! I was confusing the lens standard change on this model...it had the first metal std with rise and shift, the first linked track, metal drop bed was also added on this model!
AND the first metal divider was on the Pacemaker model, so the Pace had the new metal lensboard! The Pace continued with the Side RF until the Top RF model came out in the late 50's, so these bellows would be interchangeable (The Pace is best identified by the body mounted shutter release and the one piece governed focal plane shutter hardware!)The side RF finder model had bend-over tabs, the Top RF model had the pre-bent and the retainers, these bellows will interchange!
Sorry for my missinformation (when you get old, you begin to think the memory is infallible, but..(guess I forgot)....it isnt!!!!!!!!!))

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2003-07-01 16:37 ]
jdman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bit of useless info, if you want tilt on the Anniversary, you can put the bottom half of a Pace Standard on it with no modifications. The right tilt knob will interfere with the rangefinder and will half to be removed but one is sufficient to hold the tilt. Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: