Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XLSW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcBlock

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello what a great site. My brother gave me a XLSW camera with a 47 mm lens because I was intereted in taking panoramic shots.
Does the camera focus in meters or feet? I would image its feet because its a US camera?
He put a 120 back on it and I calculated that the vertical would be the same as if I was using a 20mm lens on a 35mm camera? Is there any real advantage to using this camera over a 35 MM camera.
Thanks a million
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-06-14 19:31, MarcBlock wrote:
Hello what a great site. My brother gave me a XLSW camera with a 47 mm lens because I was intereted in taking panoramic shots.
Does the camera focus in meters or feet? I would image its feet because its a US camera?
He put a 120 back on it and I calculated that the vertical would be the same as if I was using a 20mm lens on a 35mm camera? Is there any real advantage to using this camera over a 35 MM camera.
Thanks a million
Not sure about the focusing scale.

Yes, the vertical angle of view with a 47 mm lens on 2 1/4 film (image ~ 56 mm high) is the same as that of a 20 on 135 film (image ~ 24 mm high).

Y'r camera's advantage over a 35 mm camera is that if your technique is good it will give you negatives that can be enlarged more than ones on 135 film. Enlarged more for equivalent quality in the final print, that is.

nd technique matters. Failure to control motion (SHOOT FROM TRIPOD!, use a long cable release), inaccurate focus, use of an aperture at which the lens performs badly, will all lose the potential gains from going up in format.

Been there, done that. Sometimes revisit and do it again.

Cheers,

Dan
alecj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the "guts" of a Brooks VeriWide [the improved model with interchangable backs]. Yes, the format you have yields the equivalent, on roll film, of a 20mm lens on 35mm, including horizontal with the right back, I believe. But, it gets even better.

Get an XL Polaroid back [uses still-available pack film], and you get an even larger [meaning WIDER] pic, plus negative if you use the right film. And, you can use an XL ground glass attachment to compose and focus through the lens.

I second everything else Dan said. Take care or you'll get a lot of pics of your fingers [spoken from experience].
pensacola-dude

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I own a Graflex XLW for several years, and I love the large transparencies I am getting with its 47mm lens. As pointed out in this forum, you need to usae a tripod and cable release for sharp images. I glued on a carpenter's level on top of the camera to get straight horizons. I usually set the aperture on 8.0 and use a spotmeter to get the appropriate shutter speed. The camera is rather small and light and is a pleasure to carry while traveling. I have the older 47mm/8.0 lens; maybe you have the 47mm/5.6 lens. By the way, I use 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 backs with the XLW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex XL Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: