Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens for Century

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonebear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Century Graphic which I just got out of "mothballs". I have the standard 103
graftar in a Century shutter. I also have a 103 trioptar in Century Synchromatic shutter. I understand neither of these lens are considered very sharp. I have found a very good buy on a 120mm Zeiss Tessar in a compur shutter that I will likely buy. It seems in very good shape. I would also like a very wide angle lens.
I have seen a 65mm Angulon ******* that seems like a good answer. It is in a Compur shutter for a Linhof. I would appreciate opinions on both lens? Especially if you think the 65mm lens might present any problems.
Thank in advance for your help.
Lonebear
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't quite to the point, but the 101mm f/4.5 Optar (considered the "normal" lens for the Century) in Graphex no. 1 shutter I have found to be a reliable sharp performer. It too is a Tessar type lens with plenty of coverage for the movements on the Century (unlike the 103mm Graftar). I use the 65mm f6.8 Optar, also in Graphex no. 1 shutter, as my wide angle; the coverage is not quite adequate at extreme rise without vignetting, and the little guy is hard to focus (true in general of wide angles, I think), but within its limitations it can give very good results also. The 65 Optar is not, however, an easy lens to find: in over five years I've only ever seen two at camera shows (one of which I bought!). The Angulon is a good lens, but personally I prefer the Graphex (Wollensak) shutter over the Compur.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Trioptar and Graftar is a triplet design, which in most cases makes for a very good lens. But time has proven that these weren't the sharpest lenses in the camera bag.

Tessars tend to be very sharp in the center but with pronounced image loss at the edges of the circle of ilumination. (In other words you can't use the whole image circle and expect exptremely sharp results)
ricksplace1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schneider-Kruesnach Xenotar 80mm f2.8 in a Compur on my century graphic. It's a 5-element design like the Zeiss Planar.
The lens is incredibly sharp, even wide open. I understand that this lens is not common. I was just lucky and bought my Century Graphic equipped with it. I have seen a few on ebay listed and they are not cheap.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Does your Xenotar work with the Kalart rangefinder or do you have to focus on the Ground glass?

I have a Planar on a PM Speed and can't get the bugger to work with the rangefinder. It seems that the lens is too short for the rangefinder to work closer than 15ft.
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80mm Planars work fine on the Century. I used one for years [miss selling it]. Yes, it worked perfectly with the rangefinder. I had Graflex mount it and install the proper distance scales too. Only problem was mounting it - had to do so by removing rear element, mount it, then screw element back on from the rear. Once done, the camera closed properly. Was a great lens - for 6x7 only. Corners got REAL fuzzy with 6x9.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting! My Planar will not allow the camera to close. I have to wonder if the skinnier body of the Century had an effect on the focus abilities of the Kalart.

Then again it could have been a different Kalart model too, I guess.

Makes me want to go down to the local old camera store and talk to the guy about his PM Crown in the window...
cgoff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a 65mm Angulon for my Century 2 x 3, and until the shutter froze I did like it. Very sharp, good coverage.

Be sure to use a loupe to check focus on the groundglass (if you're picky, if not the depth of field is so long it's hard to get into trouble) and drop the bed down.
________
Chrysler S platform specifications

Last edited by cgoff on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
ricksplace1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les..
Yes, my Kalart works fine with the 80mm Xenotar. I needed to adjust it somewhat (many thanks to graflex.org for the excellent website information). The distance scales were on my camera when I bought it, so I'm assuming that graflex must have set up this particular body (including the Kalart) for the 80mm. Sometimes ya just get lucky! Sounds like maybe you need a different cam for the Kalart? Maybe someone that knows more about cams and stuff for the Kalart can comment...

While the rear element of the Xenotar does protrude quite a bit, my Century Graphic will close since there is no focal plane shutter for it to bump into.

I've been using sheet film (ilford fp4+) and I don't have any complaints about the edge sharpness on this 6x9 format. However, I shoot stopped down and don't use the movements.
I get excellent sharpness corner to corner with movements in the 6x7 (RH10) rollfilm format.
GLENLIVET

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I understand that Planars and Xenotars are rare in the US? mrcad.co.uk often has used examples. They also have excellent new Doktar Tessars in Copal shutters for £200 (you save 15% if you need not pay UK sales tax!)

Graflex cameras are rare in the UK; information about lenses, lens boards, parts, would be most welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: