Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground glass replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
campy

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a graphic view that I would like to replace the ground glass. Is there a difference between the graphic view gg and other gg like the crown or even calumet? What should the thickness be?
RichS

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure, so I pulled out my GVII and digital mic. My GG measures .06" or 1.54mm. Total thickness with Ektalite is .142" and 3.6mm.
I'm not sure the GG is the same as a Speed/Crown, but I believe it is. And I wouldn't worry about the second decimal place on the mm's. I got varying readings... Just a plain 1.5mm will do nicely.
I wish I could help as far as Calumet or Toyo or any other one. I do think I replaced one with a Toyo, but that could have been a freznel, or a Calumet, or who remembers after a while?
The only important thing about the GG is that it fits in the hole! After all, it's only the frosted/etched surface that counts and that will always be in the same position no matter how thick the clear glass is behind it. Although there would be a limited variance since it does have to fit with the hold-downs and hood. Too thick and the hood won't fit!
I'm sure someone else will know if the Calumet or Toyo GG is the same...
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-22 20:25, RichS wrote:
I wasn't sure, so I pulled out my GVII and digital mic. My GG measures .06" or 1.54mm. Total thickness with Ektalite is .142" and 3.6mm.
I'm not sure the GG is the same as a Speed/Crown, but I believe it is. And I wouldn't worry about the second decimal place on the mm's. I got varying readings... Just a plain 1.5mm will do nicely.
I wish I could help as far as Calumet or Toyo or any other one. I do think I replaced one with a Toyo, but that could have been a freznel, or a Calumet, or who remembers after a while?
The only important thing about the GG is that it fits in the hole! After all, it's only the frosted/etched surface that counts and that will always be in the same position no matter how thick the clear glass is behind it. Although there would be a limited variance since it does have to fit with the hold-downs and hood. Too thick and the hood won't fit!
I'm sure someone else will know if the Calumet or Toyo GG is the same...

Thickness shouldn't matter. The gg goes in the focusing panel with the ground side towards the lens. The image is formed on the ground side, and that's what we focus on.

However, the ground side has to be the same distance from the lens as the film. If a fresnel was put in front of the gg in a focusing panel not designed to hold the fresnel, then the ground glass will sit in slightly the wrong place and focusing on the gg won't quite work. Fred Lustig gave me a lecture about this two weeks ago.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: