Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SSG Military edition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airwreck

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SSG from the Vietnam war and it came with a graflite flash... and I am trying to get it to work..when inserting a bulb in the flash gun.. OH the batteries are good it uses 2 D batteries The test trigger doesn’t trip the bulb.. Does any one have an exploded view or some way to guide me thru the dismantling of this item so I can get it working ...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Airwreck
Les

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before dismantling, take a nice new pencil (or at least a long one) and chuck it in a drill, eraser end out. Now polish the brass battery contact wayyyyy down in side. Do the same for the spring in the bottom and the contact pin inside the flash socket.

Make sure the rotary switch is set to N.

Fill with fresh batteries, and check for voltage at the socket with an inexpensive voltmeter from radio shack. This will be cheaper in the long run than testing with flash bulbs.

If it still doesn't work, then you'll need to find the online repair manuals.

Les
Airwreck

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and suggestion..I will try that ..and if the pencil doesn't work.. I will fly to Miami to shop ina radio shack...
So where would one find the Manaual for this???
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could use the bulb out of their 2 D cell flashlight and some jumper wires in place of a volt meter to test with.

Airwreck

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Of thanks a bunch for the help it seems we have power moving thru the veins now...But I need an explanation... Les you said to make sure the setting was on "N" in the flash gun.. But the manual I have says to set it on 1... So what gives here??? I'm confused Can you pontificate
Thanks for all your help
sobahguy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Airwreck...

I have just gotten my Super Speed up and running & firing flashbulbs like a mad fool (well maybe not quite completely mad, given their price these days ).

You didn't say whether you are using the SSG Y-cord for flash sync. If you have this Y-cord, it has 2 legs which meet at a black molded connector, on which each of the legs are marked "SHUTTER" and "REMOTE". These are plugged into their corresponding outlets on the Graflite battery case, the 3-pin plug is then inserted into the camera outlet. The rotary switch should be set at "1"...what happens is when the flashgun button is pressed the "remote" connection trips the shutter and the bulb is then fired using the shutter's built-in 20 millisecond delay.

Now if you just have a SINGLE household-to-camera 3-pin cord (not a Y-cord), then the HH blades are placed in the SHUTTER outlet on the battery case for sync using the shutter's built-in sync. With this single cord the rotary switch should be set at "N" and be advised that with this arrangement you cannot use the battery case to trip the shutter, you must use either the red button on the left side of the camera (above the handle) or physically release the lever on the shutter by finger or cable release. Also, if you do press the button on the flash, the bulb will fire immediately but the shutter will not.

I know all of this may sound confusing at first read, but basically the type of cord you have will dictate whether you should use "N" or "1"

Hope this helps.

[ This Message was edited by: sobahguy on 2003-05-19 17:09 ]
Les

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! An actual invitation to pontificate! I always thought I did a rather good job without anybody asking !!!

Actually I gave the reasonable and proper answer for anybody using the flash with a solenoid for synchronization. After you brought it to my attention I see you are using a Super Sonic Graphic which would use the synchronizing system inherent in the shutter, thus negating completely what I had pontificated prevously.

Rather than committing the sin of "referenced from memory" yet again, I have consulted the Graflite Manual.

"When using the rear switch to fire, but the shutter to synchronize, set it on 1."

When using the shutter to both synchronize and trip, set it on "N".

With the SSG system of cables and wires, I'm not sure you can set it up to simply fire flash while tripping the shutter with your finger. If you are then set in on N. If you are using the red button on the flash or possibly the red button on top of the camera, then set it on '1'.

End of pontification.

The Pontif has left the building
Airwreck

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch guys...we have flashing...so that leads me to another probably stupid question... Can I use my flash meter to creat a guide number or do you folks know what a guide number would be for a 25B Bulb
Oh MR Pontif.. you are alowed to make mistakes now and then..
and have you thought of scaning that user manual for the graflite and making a pdf??? HINT HINT
thanks again
Airwreck
jdman

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using a Wein flashmeter for testing #25 bulbs, and this idea does not work. Probably be cause the flashmeter locks up before the bulb reachs full brightness. As for the Guide Number it depends on the film speed and SHUTTER speed. Example ASA100 film at 1/125th shutter speed at 10 feet =GN of 140, however if you go to a shutter speed of 1/400 your guide goes to 105. And at 1/500 it is only 70. Blue bulbs and Clear bulbs have the same guide number. There are other variables such as the size of the reflector, polished or not etc. Russ
alecj

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflite manual found here:

http://www.angelfire.com/art/architecturalphoto/graflexindex.html
Airwreck

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that site is eitehr down or dead you got another lead???

Thanks
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just visited that site...and it's alive and well. Fred.
Airwreck

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the site Angelfire is fine and dandy.. but when you try to follow one of the links it never go anywhere.. that is what I ment
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the angelfire link again. Clicking on any manual or page number gets a redirect where you select the page you wanted again.
If you wanted a service manual then send me your email in a private message and I'll get back to you as I have time.(in the processing of moving). also tell me the mb limit of your email.
Charles

worldphoto

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above web site is old due to Angelfire limiting web space. Try:
http://www.worldphoto.bravepages.com/graflexindex.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: